Rory, attempt to bend rules?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
DJ saw an opportunity to use his frame to his advantage to use the rules to benefit him. It wasn't illegal. Whether it was "sporting" is another matter. Rory tried to do the same but he couldn't reach without playing in a manner that would have been impossible without hitting the tree in the rules officials opinion. Again he tried to use the rules but failed. Again, and perhaps as he clearly had a left handed option, whether his actions were "sporting" is a different question. As it's professional sport I don't blame either for trying. If a PP tried it in a medal, would you give them the drop?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sounds good . I reckon thers no way DJ would take a stance that wide for a chip sideways .. i posted a vid clip to GM on twitter showing a pitch from 90 odd yards his stance was half the width

I agree re DJ and his stance. But I guess it can be argued that he could play it that way and also intend to chip sideaways with the tree in the way.

For me the big difference is that if DJ wasn’t given relief he would have played the shot he said he would, albeit with a narrower stance. Where as Rory when refused played a different shot.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to try and help people's thinking, and understanding, of what happens and why in such situations (because a lot of different concepts have been introduced from intentions to impossibility...).

The test is that interference must not require a swing, stance, shot choice that are clearly unreasonable ; and the addition of clearly is very significant.

Rory needed to be set up to swing through the tree trunk, or with a swing path that came round the tree and back out to the ball from a stance where the path interfered. Clearly unreasonable as a choice (if you didn't have a choice you might try and do it - but that's different).

DJs chosen stance for his stroke might have been slightly surprising, as an example, but not clearly unreasonable.