Rollups/Swindles

• Thread starter Deleted member 35577
  • Start date

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Simply because we've had instances of players coming into the club, including some with handicaps that have lapsed for competitions due to lack of cards submitted, taking the money. As they aren't playing comps, the group thought they may be at an advantage as the handicap may not be reflecting their current level. Like all of the rules they are discussed and agreed by the group and voted on

I get why you might exclude a new player from taking the money but once that rule is in there's really no need to 'punish' them twice by dropping their handicap is there, hell they can play off 54!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I get why you might exclude a new player from taking the money but once that rule is in there's really no need to 'punish' them twice by dropping their handicap is there, hell they can play off 54!
Handicaps also go up, if you are deserving of a higher one you'll get it.

In my experience, roll up handicaps are much more fluid than WHS ones. Who knows, they may be more accurate as well ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
These aren't new players, new to the club at least. These are existing (in some cases long term) members who don't have an active handicap as they don't play in comps. That part is fine but we've had a couple rock up who are clearly playing at a level far better than their handicap which won't be adjusted at all. We've have that several times (including a now ex-member) who went from group to group in this position and made a real killing. The rules are sent out to new members who put their name on the booking sheet two weeks in advance if they appear alongside any of our regular players so they can decide if they want to join in or not so they know what they are getting into.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
These aren't new players, new to the club at least. These are existing (in some cases long term) members who don't have an active handicap as they don't play in comps. That part is fine but we've had a couple rock up who are clearly playing at a level far better than their handicap which won't be adjusted at all. We've have that several times (including a now ex-member) who went from group to group in this position and made a real killing. The rules are sent out to new members who put their name on the booking sheet two weeks in advance if they appear alongside any of our regular players so they can decide if they want to join in or not so they know what they are getting into.
In the Q Season does everyone submit a GP card? If not it seems you're missing something here.

Swango1980

Visit site
We have them every Tuesday and Thursday morning. Never played as I work. But I think it's only a couple of quid in, and they do bits. I think things like everyone in the group gives 50p to another in their group if they get a birdie. Sand saves may also get a bit.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We don’t have any roll up or swindles that I am aware of.

Is there a difference? And what on earth at bits?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site

Bits are the division on available winnings, in our swindle at least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Roll ups - normally a group that turn up during a specific period and then go off when a draw is made , at most clubs it’s open to everyone

Swindle - normally a pre arranged grouping between a bunch of mates who run weekly or yearly comps , can’t just turn up and join them normally pre arranged asking - most swindles open to anyone to join

BITs - little side bets , nearest the pins , birdies , sandy pars , front 9 etc

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have loads.
Some are open to all, others are invitation. The open ones are a good way for new members to join in. Ironically, roll up groups are drawn pretty randomly, while our comps allow entries on a sheet (and therefore allow a choice of pp) for "normal" medals and sfords.
Most have a handicap system indepedent of whs to ensure the winnings are shared around. Putting cards in is optional, some do, some don't. There's normally an informal 4bbb game if you're in a 4.
We don't have tee time bookings outwith weekend mornings, but the course has a number of possible starting holes, so you can normally get on somewhere if you don't want to join in.