Rolls of Grip Tape getting thinner?

incatrekker

Visit site
Hi guys - For years I've been fitting shafts, re-gripping clubs etc. Recently I ordered a roll of grip tape and it seems thinner (like cling film) and pushes out a nasty, sticky glob of adhesive when the grip slides on. The strips of tape from same supplier are thicker, as the rolls used to be. Has anyone else experienced this, and who sells decent quality rolls of tape?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve only used the 2” stuff and run it straight down the shaft but my club builder always used the 1” stuff fitted at 45*, he used extremely less and the grips always felt better. I find his way is less gloopy.

Contemplating regripping my cf16’s as the grips are 5yr old but still in good nick considering

incatrekker

Visit site
I have found you can buy two types - economy and premium.

I buy from JLgolf
They do
https://www.jlgolf.co.uk/collections/grips/products/premium-2-regriping-tape-full-roll
or
https://www.jlgolf.co.uk/collections/grips/products/full-roll-basic-regripping-tape-2-wide

The latter is quite thin but useful if you are not going to remove the old tape but do not want to thicken the grip.

They also sell shorter rolls and 3/4 wide.

Thanks for the link. A quick look tells this is the stuff I've used before so maybe I didn't choose the "premium" option.
Many thanks!

incatrekker

Visit site
I’ve only used the 2” stuff and run it straight down the shaft but my club builder always used the 1” stuff fitted at 45*, he used extremely less and the grips always felt better. I find his way is less gloopy.

Contemplating regripping my cf16’s as the grips are 5yr old but still in good nick considering

I use the strips where I only need a single thickness of tape, usually for my mates, and for the final full length layer. I find a spiral wind of narrower tape is more flexible when I need extra layers on part of the grip. The newer MCC plus 4 grips that are thicker under the lower hand may make this unnecessary, haven't tried them yet.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I replaced a grip for the first time last week. I bought a kit with strips included and noticed the same compared to what I’d seen on YouTube but it appears to have done a decent job.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The newer MCC plus 4 grips that are thicker under the lower hand may make this unnecessary, haven't tried them yet.

They are excellent. As someone who always used to build up my wedge grips under the lower hand by about 3 or 4 layers the MCC plus 4's are ideal.