Road legal golf buggy?

Doodle

Visit site
I live only 0.5 miles away from my course, access is via a reasonably quite road.
I am considering getting a full size golf buggy Ezgo / Yamaha.
I would prefer a road legal one (restricted road use) a bit like a agricultural vehicle.
I would prefer a petrol powered one as opposed to battery, but I can't seem to find much info on this on the net.
I can see a couple of companies advertising new lithium powered buggies, but at huge cost.
My preference would be for a used Ezgo or Yamaha that has been converted for restricted road use.
Has anyone any knowledge or experience of this?
Ta.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I live only 0.5 miles away from my course, access is via a reasonably quite road.
I am considering getting a full size golf buggy Ezgo / Yamaha.
I would prefer a road legal one (restricted road use) a bit like a agricultural vehicle.
I would prefer a petrol powered one as opposed to battery, but I can't seem to find much info on this on the net.
I can see a couple of companies advertising new lithium powered buggies, but at huge cost.
My preference would be for a used Ezgo or Yamaha that has been converted for restricted road use.
Has anyone any knowledge or experience of this?
Ta.
Looking forward to hearing from some of our more Rural forum members.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whatever one you have you are going to need insurance.
Worth checking with insurance companies first as to what type of vehicles they will insure.
Will it need to have seat belts etc

I have seen in the news about people using golf buggies on public roads and being prosecuted for RTA infringements.

For the short journey of 0.5 of a mile there are road legal mobility scooters with all the necessary lights etc.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It would need road tax, insurance, lights, indicators, number plates and road going tyres to pass the MOT it would need.
Buy a trike?

Doodle

Visit site
I don't think a road legal golf buggy would necessarily need all the things others have mentioned.
I know it has been possible in the past to register a vehicle for restricted road use (from memory that allows 1.5 km road use at any one time) that law is mainly aimed at agricultural vehicles, but I think it may be possible to apply it to a golf buggy.
Obviously it would need to be registered, insured, probably lights, maybe a windscreen wiper & horn.
Road tyres? I doubt it, as all tyres are speed rated & a buggy is not a quick vehicle.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a road legal ATV which was classed as Agricultural. It could only be used on the road for agricultural purposes so not suitable for golf. It did however need lights, indicators, seat belts, horn etc. and the insurance was huge due to the high risk of theft.
A friend has a simple ride-on single seat buggy which he uses on pavements like an mobility scooter but I don't know what rules apply to that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are the clubs stored at the club or would the OP be taking it with him each time. If they are being ferried to and from the club I can see how it may be deemed not to be for agricultural use. The tyres could also be an issue especially in the wet. I can see this getting expensive and perhaps cost prohibitive

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't they be classed the same as mobility scooters :confused:

Yes but as far as I am aware 'road legal' mobility scooters still have to have lights and indicators, they are electrically propelled and are speed limited to 8 mph on a road and must be speed limited to 4 MPH when used on a pavement. RTA offences still affect a driving licence (if you have or apply for one). E.G you must still adhere to drink driving laws.