rifle shafts

B

birdieman

Recently acquired a set of 'as new' Macgregor M685'S fitted with rifle flighted 5.5 shafts for a snip at £150 (3-pw).
As we are still under snow I haven't had a swing for 10 days until yesterday when I popped in to the Aspire range place near Aberdeen to hit 50.
It was a cold day and I sort of felt I wasn't getting much feel off these forged irons or feedback out of the shafts. Distance was ok, maybe a little shorther than I'm used to. Ball flight was definitley lower which I'm told is correct for rifles but the best bit was amazing spin upon landing.
They have top-flites as range balls which at 4 degrees temperature and hitting off mats probably account for the non-feedback, do you think?
My fear is that 5.5's are too stiff, anybody out there got any opinions on rifles versus S300's. Assistant pro told me that rifles have this reputation as being better than DG's but that this is unfounded as in the 'iron byron' robotic testing they perform just as well as rifles.
Discuss...

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stu, before I chuffed up and bought the Cobras I tried a set of the MacGregor forged with the same shaft as you have and the only thing I can compare it to was the Pro Force V" shaft you get in the driver, it was a dead stick to me with nothing to use from the feedback what so ever. The rifle shafts felt heavier and to be honest once I got my paws on the S300's they felt like a cosy slipper as opposed to a leather brogue. More feedback on every shot and although they may not zip the ball back, they stop it quick enough.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
5.5's are equivalent to the S300 I believe.

I've had 5.5's in a set of Bridgestones I had, then a brief dalliance with 5.0's in a set of X-20 Tours. I have to say I didn't get on well with either set of clubs, sold them both pretty sharpish and am now back to R300's on my TM R7 TP's, which I am hitting rather well!

My opinion (for what it's worth) is to stick to DG!

B

birdieman

Sory guys, this should have gone in the lounge, not the for sale/wanted bit...d'Oh.

Will give them a chance, see if they're better in the warmer weather, then if I don't like I'll replace, thanks for the help. I had a set of MP30's a few years ago with rifle 6.0's and they seemed ok from what I remember...must be getting older!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
My current RAC LTs are on 6.0's s per my sig, I have comented a few times that I thought they may be a little stiff for my med-fast swing, the new titleists I am hoping to buy at the weekend after trying them have s300 shafts fitted. I think the DG shaft is slightly more flexible and I seem to be hitting them at least as far as the rifles. I prefer the look of the rifles though if the s300s do the job, I wouldnt hesitate in using them.