Rick Sheils review format

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And the thing is get a 12-15 handicapper and a single figure player and I'm sure there would be an element of consistency but the mis-hits simply add a degree of what we all experience and so seeing how much distance and spin changes could really benefit anyone interested in the product

Crossfield doesn't blow smoke up anyones ass. Has been saying the same thing for years. Go and try them yourself. All the clubs are decent these days and all perform pretty much the same.
He only states if it fits his eye and gives people a first look at the product. That's it in a nutshell.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Click bait and sickly.
My thoughts too. Not entirely convinced that any of then on youtube are really in it for the same purpose as they’d like us to think.

They all seemed to do it under the premise of it being a wonderful free way to get lessons. Now they simply montage whatever they can. Nowt wrong with that, but the quality for the main English guys had fallen imo. Noticed that in a 18months Ricks lesson prices have gone up 100%. Peters 70%.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What is everyones take on Rick Sheils product review format? I cant help but get the impression that he has become a little too big for his boots now though compared to how he was a few years ago. I realise times change and he has to keep it fresh but he seems to come across abit arrogant these days. Im not trying to slate the guy before the Rick fan boys jump on me

Care to supply any info on what it is you're referring to or are we just supposed to go and click on newer vids and guess what you're talking about? (inadvertently raising his count of views)

albie999

Visit site
I quite like the Average Golfer YT .... on some of his reviews, he will get a range of handicap's from say 22 down to single figures, to each try the club and see what happens. Also SAS Golf seem to be getting better, doing vids on second hand and cheaper clubs, like someone said earlier, a lot of gear is very similar in terms of performance for us mid to high (that's me) golfers

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't watch much in the way of club reviews now. Think the biggest addition is to have handicap golfers hit shots and use their data.

It's not all that useful for me to see Golf Pro's hit a load of shots given they have higher club head speeds and will be much more consistent with strike.

Got into real bother with the Taylor Made SLDR as it came out and everyone raved about it. Ended up getting a club completely not suitable for me and set my golf game back a good bit until I eventually got a new club. This was a club suitable for people with high club head speed and accuracy of strike.

Strangely I don't remember watching many reviews on YT providing a big warning to handicap golfers. Everyone would just hit a load of balls and marvel at how far they were going.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good Points here. I would like to see the data for a higher handicapper hitting a new club. Stats like how off centre or poor shots react and even how many poor shots were being hit with a club would probably have more bearing on how I buy a club than the numbers produced by a pro hitting it with a fast swing out of the middle.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good Points here. I would like to see the data for a higher handicapper hitting a new club. Stats like how off centre or poor shots react and even how many poor shots were being hit with a club would probably have more bearing on how I buy a club than the numbers produced by a pro hitting it with a fast swing out of the middle.

It has to be more relevant surely. Most pros, especially Shiels having played with him and Finch at Camberley Heath get it out there a mile and their swing speed is far different to mine and a lot of other club golfers. I'd rather get an authentic bad hits and all view of a club (and therefore just how forgiving it can be) than a pro hitting it well shot after shot.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It has to be more relevant surely. Most pros, especially Shiels having played with him and Finch at Camberley Heath get it out there a mile and their swing speed is far different to mine and a lot of other club golfers. I'd rather get an authentic bad hits and all view of a club (and therefore just how forgiving it can be) than a pro hitting it well shot after shot.

...and the distances they get make me feel feeble and less so inclined to watch...:)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
...and the distances they get make me feel feeble and less so inclined to watch...:)
Exactly. Let me say Peter Finch drove the 16th at Camberley Heath and made eagle (pretty sure we were off the yellows but stand to be corrected on that as really can't remember) but still had to carry the water. The distances some of these Youtube pros hit it bears no semblance to you and I and makes reviews irrelevant

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Exactly. Let me say Peter Finch drove the 16th at Camberley Heath and made eagle (pretty sure we were off the yellows but stand to be corrected on that as really can't remember) but still had to carry the water. The distances some of these Youtube pros hit it bears no semblance to you and I and makes reviews irrelevant

As a 'tuber' yourself hopefully this is the kind of feedback you regularly leave on their review vids?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a 'tuber' yourself hopefully this is the kind of feedback you regularly leave on their review vids?

Not that I've done any reviews other than putters (so hopefully distance not an issue) but look at some of my on course stuff and I regularly confess to being a short hitter so the club I use playing into a hole would probably be more than most others would hit

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You will never see a bad review from these guys,
Of course not. They aren't going to bite the hand that feeds and didn't Crossfield get in some stick with TM at some point to the point they wouldn't send stuff to test. However that's a world of difference between letting ordinary golfers hit the clubs and add their data to any review and if anything could be seen by the manufacturer as a plus to see them hit by ordinary golfers