Returning to golf

BarryScott

Visit site
Hello good folk of the Golf Monthly forums.

After several years of golfing hiatus, I find myself returning to the game. Thank god for the proliferation of new gear over the years as it enabled me to pick up some very nice sticks dirt cheap!

As I feel my way back into the game, I ask you guys how have you got into the game more and or joined clubs when very few of your pals have got the golfing bug? It feels a bit of an effort to get a game at the moment so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome (back to the game and to the forum)

Personally I joined a club with very a active roll up ethos that suited my playing times. Got going, met people, drank a lot of coffee in the clubhouse entered every competition - job done.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't play for many years, had no pals who played and eventually decided the only way back in was to join a club. So I picked one, fairly at random, and met lots of people and got the bug big time. So top tip from me is join a club and get stuck in!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hello good folk of the Golf Monthly forums.

After several years of golfing hiatus, I find myself returning to the game. Thank god for the proliferation of new gear over the years as it enabled me to pick up some very nice sticks dirt cheap!

As I feel my way back into the game, I ask you guys how have you got into the game more and or joined clubs when very few of your pals have got the golfing bug? It feels a bit of an effort to get a game at the moment so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome along. Whereabouts are you? Lots of friendly clubs in SW London (my old manor)

BarryScott

Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies.

It's a case of biting the bullet and committing myself!

I'm based near Kingston. I remember Malden being super flat and not for me... Wimbledon Common kind of makes sense as a place to get back in the groove I think?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah if you have no friends playing the only way is to join and club and/or society. Be careful regarding clubs. Some are very poor at initiating new players. Ask lots of questions about this. The clubs with roll ups on competition days are very easy for new players to fit into, play competition golf and forge new friendships

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for all the great replies.

It's a case of biting the bullet and committing myself!

I'm based near Kingston. I remember Malden being super flat and not for me... Wimbledon Common kind of makes sense as a place to get back in the groove I think?

I know Kingston very well!!!!!!!

I always found Malden a bit wet in winter and for me, I'd be back at Wimbledon Common in a heartbeat. Was a member there in the 70's and 80's and know the pro Jeff Jukes really well. I think there is another member on here who plays there so there could be a potential "in" for you if you are looking at membership. I guess if you want to just play somewhere and get back into it, Richmond Park and their two courses makes sense although I think you need a partner at weekends and it can be busy, but nice and local. Otherwise, for a cheap, ok(ish) course, try Horton Park in Epsom.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would get out and play as much as you can.

when i started playing i didn't know anyone local to me who played regularly, so joined a club.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I decided to join a club when playing a casual, solo 9 holes at the course for the first time and loved the layout so much I looked to join when I got home. Turned out there are a few affiliate clubs at the course so plumped for one an old colleague was a member of.

Didn't know anyone to begin with, but got a great welcome and never looked back since. Made some good friends and turned out someone in my office joined at the same time who I now play regularly with.