Retaining Lag

caslad81

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

I am currently suffering at the moment with pulling the ball, up to about 30 yards left with the longer irons and 10 yards with the shorter irons. I have checked the fundementals, grip, posture, weight shift, aim and setup and have even moved the ball further back in my stance to no avail. I have come to the conclusion that I am not retaining enough lag on the downswing and releasing the club too early e.g casting. I can sometimes feel the club head passing my hands before impact and it sometimes feels like I am hitting up a little causing the pull and lack of distance (20 yards with my 7 iron). I am booking in for a lesson next month but can anyone try and help me out before hand maybe with some drills for hitting down on the ball more and retaining lag?

Thanks

Mark

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Mark,
You have a very common problem....trying to lift the ball into the air.
Try these drills with your shorter irons first.
1. place a headcover or sponge about a foot behind the ball you are trying to hit. That should give you the feeling of a steeper angle of attack into the ball.
2 Try and imagine the front leading edge of the sole of your club hitting the ground first. I suspect the back of the sole is hitting the ground first

caslad81

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks Bob,

I went to the range last night and tried to physically hit down on the ball, when I did my legs squatted and it felt like my arms wear being left behind me and the ball felt like it weighed nothing and I got my distance back. The only problem is if I hit a ball like that on grass instead of the Astroturf I hardly have any follow through as all the energy is dissipated in to the ground and I get very erratic direction.