Results of my custom fit session.

A

Alex1975

Results of my custom fit session.

Hi All

I had my custom fit session this morning with Andrew Ainsworth (10 years the pro at Ashridge he tells me). Andrew was a really nice guy and very much still enjoying his work it seemed. He had technology of all descriptions but for us it was a launch monitor, the DNA system and some slow mo cameras. I kicked off with my own 6 iron to warm up and was given plenty of time. Andrew then asked me about my game, good bits bad bits, ball striking and so on.

I told Andrew that I really wanted the MP-53s but if he thought otherwise I would go with what he said. He like some of the really clued up people on the forum said that the head was of less importance compared to the shaft if my ball striking was good enough. He did however say that he thought the JPX non pro was a very long club and maybe even as much as 10 yards longer then some of the forged stuff. This did not bother me at all, I was not looking for something long, more something that felt good and was on target, I don’t have a problem with length.

I made about 10 swings for my DNA test and we picked the best 3. I was slicing the ball a little because I was a little tense now that we are actually doing the test so Andrew gave me time to work that out. The nice thing was that my tempo was the same, good or bad shorts, I don’t know if it was good, but it was the same(3).

I will write all the stats out because they will mean something to someone who may be interested. I must say I don’t fully understand release factor or tow down.

Head Speed 80-79-83=81
Tempo 3-3-3=3
Toe Down 3-4-4=4
Kick Angle 3-3-3=3
Release Factor 5-8-7=7

When this info was put into the computer it offered me a shaft that they no longer make as the 1st option and the NS Pro 950 Stiff as the 2nd. Andrew told me that the NS Pro was better in a real world scenario than the one that they no longer make; I did not take note of what that was.

So we tried the NS Pro and I was not blown away by it, it felt a little too light, but I did not know that until we moved to the next shaft. Andrew put a shaft in that I guess he knew was close to what we were using but that may work better for me. He would not tell me what it was as he said he did not want it to be a factor. As soon as I picked the club up is said to him, “this is a heavier shaft” he was impressed and said a lot of people would not be able to tell that. It was just 13 grams heavier and was the Dynalite Gold XP S300. As soon as I hit it, it felt great and I wanted to hit it all day long. Although it is still a light weight shaft is it was that little bit more that I needed. We then worked on the stats and yardages and ball flight and so on and they all came up better and more consistent than the NS Pro.

After the fitting we chatted a little more and Andrew videoed my swing and projected it up on the wall. I have to say apart from my weight shift issue it looked damn good, my arms stayed so nice and straight and it filled me with confidence to see that some of the work I have done has gone in.

The whole thing was a real treat for me and a gift in its self. I was there about 90 minutes and I left buzzing. How many purchases do you make these days where you leave with nothing but a receipt an ego lift and a big smile?!

I have ordered PW-9-8-7 and will go back for 6 & 5 when my contract is paid in the New Year. Sadly I will not see these now until the second week in Jan at best but I don’t think I will be able to use them much before that anyway.

If anyone has any interesting information about the Dynalite Gold XP S300 I would love to know about it and ill do some pics or something when the clubs arrive. I cant wait!!

Alex

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Great write up Alex and it's nice to know that at the end of the fitting you get what really suits you, it also clears your head of doubts about what you are playing with, you can then concentrate on your game.

I always enjoy lessons and the club fitting process, it does make you concentrate and think about your golf. I am sure that you read my exploits at Mizuno a couple of weeks ago, I have ended up buying Titleist and they feel brilliant at the range, I just cant wait for the course to open!

Best of luck with yours

Chris

A

Alex1975

Thanks Chris, I really do feel I got what I wanted and I was actuly shocked at a)How good the club felt and b) how different the shafts feel. I just had a ball!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Chris, I really do feel I got what I wanted and I was actuly shocked at a)How good the club felt and b) how different the shafts feel. I just had a ball!

That makes two of us - roll on next season and, hopefully, single figure golf!

Best of luck

Chris

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good right up mate,what clubs did you end up with don't think you said ,i love all that stuff and seeing the results is great ,it does make you concentrate rather than just lashing at it ,good luck with the new wands.

A

Alex1975

Steve - MP 53 is what I got. It was the only way forward for me.

PS I will be copying your avatar :p :p

A

Alex1975

Nice write-up Al.
Shame you can't remember that shaft.
Welcome to the Mizzy fold.

Ian, The one I dont know about will be a light weight still shaft that is no longer in production. it does not matter to me now though really as the Dynalight is so nice.

I am very proud to be a Mizzy fan boy, they screem quality to me. I may even have to join the Mizuno forum now :D

Dear Sanata....

Might have to get me some iron head covers to keep them looking like yours do :D

Oh PS I went for Mizuno multi compound grips in blue. standard loft and lie.

SimonS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
im starting to warm up to the mizzy range, was considering buying the new 630 fast track but was only put off by the shut clubface

The 630 actually sits about half a degree open. The MX-700 does sit closed, especially in the higher lofts.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
im starting to warm up to the mizzy range, was considering buying the new 630 fast track but was only put off by the shut clubface

The 630 actually sits about half a degree open. The MX-700 does sit closed, especially in the higher lofts.

Agreed, it sits square to slightly open and is a superb driver with a great stock shaft. Ability to control spin rate is a great advantage allowing ball trajectory to be altered.