Restoring old clubs?

Aidanmlfc

Visit site
I managed to find a set of older clubs (unsure how old, if someone could let me know I’d be grateful) in a charity shop and picked them up for £5. They’re in decent nick but could do with some tlc, small patches of rust, old dirt etc. I know I can replace the grips but unsure how to go about refurbing the rest of the club.

For context they are a set of Wilson powersole 1200 irons and woods (with wooden heads)- 5, 3 and 1- and a Slazenger California driver. There’s also a Slazenger Curtis cup putter in there.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There were several variations in the 1200 range, the Power Sole has a wide sole and dates from the late 1970s.
All 1200 clubs are cast and cavity back.
Basic cleaning is best done with warm soapy water and a stiff brush, this will clear the grooves and lettering of any old dirt.
Shafts can be brightened up by rubbing with aluminum foil, add a little water if you wish, which will remove small rust marks.
Grip condition will vary, they may be okay or they may have gone hard and shiny, in which case they'll need replacing.

The woods are almost certainly laminated maple. Full restoration is time consuming and requires some experience and tools.
If they're in reasonable shape then the best thing to do is clean off any dirt, try not to get the head wet, sand down any rough spots and give a coat of polyurethane (or waterproof varnish) to seal.

Aidanmlfc

Visit site
There were several variations in the 1200 range, the Power Sole has a wide sole and dates from the late 1970s.
All 1200 clubs are cast and cavity back.
Basic cleaning is best done with warm soapy water and a stiff brush, this will clear the grooves and lettering of any old dirt.
Shafts can be brightened up by rubbing with aluminum foil, add a little water if you wish, which will remove small rust marks.
Grip condition will vary, they may be okay or they may have gone hard and shiny, in which case they'll need replacing.

The woods are almost certainly laminated maple. Full restoration is time consuming and requires some experience and tools.
If they're in reasonable shape then the best thing to do is clean off any dirt, try not to get the head wet, sand down any rough spots and give a coat of polyurethane (or waterproof varnish) to seal.
Thank you for all the great advice, I’ll try it all later and post some update pictures