Upgrading from a 16 year old set of Wilson irons?

insomniak

Visit site
Hi,

I currently play with a set of Wilson Deep Red II Irons which I have had since around 2003-2004, I used to be a member of a course back then and up until around 2006 played twice a week on average. I managed to get my handicap down to around 18 at my best, but after not playing regularily for the past 13-14 years I have recently started playing again a bit more. I have always been able to hit these irons quite good and usually pretty straight when I connect well with them, however I just feel that the club technology must have improved since these were made and I could now probably pick up a decent set of irons that are only a few years old that will benefit me more.

With things as they are right now in the UK, it's probably going to be difficult to try out some new clubs in a shop, ideally I am looking for something with steel shafts, quite forgiving and a decent sized clubface.

I am 37, 5ft 10, I'd say I have quite a fast swing speed. I usually use regular flex graphite shafts in drivers & woods, but would defintley prefer steel shafted irons.

So any recomendations from the best iron sets released around 2015 to 2018 that I could probably get second hand for around £200-£300 ?

Thanks

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Sticking with Wilson, D7. Or for a bit less the D300.
Perhaps consider Benross Type R, or Delta.

There are so many though, and all decent quality from the main manufacturers these days.

One approach is to buy demo clubs to try out when looking around (often on the popular auction site)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sticking with Wilson, D7. Or for a bit less the D300.
Perhaps consider Benross Type R, or Delta.

There are so many though, and all decent quality from the main manufacturers these days.

One approach is to buy demo clubs to try out when looking around (often on the popular auction site)

If you can get the NHS discount, you will be able to get a new set of the Deltas within your budget at AG.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have a look at the second hand golf stores like Affordable Golf or Golfbidder. The latter will have a whole range of clubs and it'll tell you what shaft is in each set and give you pictures of the actual clubs. Also operates a 7 day return policy. At least starting there will give you an idea what's around for your budget and you can always try and get it via e-bay

insomniak

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, I was hoping for some exact club brand & models to be mentioned rather than where to look for them. At the moment it might be a toss up between a new set of Wilson D7's or a second hand set of Taylor Made M4's

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thanks for all the replies, I was hoping for some exact club brand & models to be mentioned rather than where to look for them. At the moment it might be a toss up between a new set of Wilson D7's or a second hand set of Taylor Made M4's
I thought that was what I provided :unsure: