RESCUE clubs

Sheikh

Visit site
I have just started to LEARN golf and purchased CGB MAX Irons and now planning to by WOODS.
The local Golf shop gave me advise that I should buy DRIVER of 10.5 and in place of fairway woods I should go for 3 & 5 RESCUE as the normal fairway woods are OUT now and are being replaced by RESCUE. Shall appreciate your advice?

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i think that you should try out all your differnet options, although the local pro should know what he's talking about, the vast majority of the time its upto feel from the player. I myself own a 10.5* driver, 3 wood and a 5 wood as i feel that i have no need at the moment for a rescue.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think that is poor advice. I would be more inclined to buy a 3 and 5 wood and take out the 3 and 4 irons from your set and replace them with hybrids. I wouldn't recommend getting a driver straight away and when you do get one don't look for anything under 11 degree loft as you will get too mcu side spin causing slices.

WGC

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think its great advice. My pro would tell you the same. I use an 11.0 degree driver because i have trouble getting the ball up. I have a 3 wood which I always used off the tee before getting a driver but now i might whip it out only once or twice in a round. Using a spalding rescue wood(4) which works well for me and is easy to hit off the fairway or rough. If your starting out benross have a good rescue wood for around £65.

WGC

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have to agree with you. When starting off a driver can play havoc with your game. A three wood would do just fine.

Plantie

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi there,

I have the rescue 3 utility CGB R7 (19loft, Reg shaft 55 gram) for sale which I have only used for 3 rounds if interested???

Looking for £99 delivered - £129.99 new. and its unmarked.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was the other way round, I could hit a driver better than a fairway wood and it's still the case. I use a hybrid rather than my 5-wood and haven't got a 3. (Driver is 11.5)

I am starting to notice the gap though so am looking into a fairway that I can hit. Unfortunately the only one so far is the G10 which is outside my budget (which with fuel costs is getting smaller).

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just started to LEARN golf and purchased CGB MAX Irons and now planning to by WOODS.
The local Golf shop gave me advise that I should buy DRIVER of 10.5 and in place of fairway woods I should go for 3 & 5 RESCUE as the normal fairway woods are OUT now and are being replaced by RESCUE. Shall appreciate your advice?

I'm going to disagree with this plan....and not just a bit.....sorry.

1) Don't buy a 10.5 degree driver......buy an 11 or 12 or even go without for a few months.
2) 3 wood equivalent rescue? this is a flipin' joke. NO WAY......a 3w (16*) rescue off the tee is not nearly as easy to use as a 3 wood. Off the deck....a 16 degree rescue is NOT a beginners club.
3) 5 wood equivalent.....yes THIS is a very good idea.....a 19/20/21-ish degree hybrid.....YES!!!

If I were you I'd take your 3 iron out and add a nice big headed 3 wood for tee shots and a 20 degree rescue. If things go well and you get good, then add the driver.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Here's yet another take on it.

At the moment I have a 3 wood, no driver and a 21 degree Hybrid.

I use the 3 wood off the tee with which I get between 200 and 230 yards depending on wind, purity of the connection, timing, the closeness of the next full moon etc.

I use the 21 degree hybrid to extend the range of the irons so to speak and get about 170 - 190 with it when it behaves itself. I'm not sure if I have this down pat but when I look at the loft intervals of my other irons, the 21 degree comes out at about a three iron which is fine as my set starts with a four.

I've stayed away from a driver until now partly because the cost/use ratio is low and that's before considering the distance/accuracy ratio from a more strategic point of view.

I'm clearly not a big hitter but feel at the moment that however much power I lack against my fellow golfers that development lies predominantly in accuracy rather than distance at my novice level as it may for many others in a similar boat.

I might be tempted in the future to get a five wood to use off the deck for those low-index, long par fours or fives as i'm cr@p off the turf with a three wood and erratic with the hybrid. Rightly of wrongly I'm labouring under the impression that a five wood might be a little easier to hit from the deck and may sacrifice a proportion of penetrating trajectory for a less scudding and unpredictable bounce/post-flight roll-out. That seems a fair deal.

Could be a load of misguided rubbish of course but that's how I've read it to date.

Beyond that I couldn't really encourage you to favour one path or another with the small caveat that it would at least seem wise to keep the money in your pocket for now, try as many clubs as you can and trust your own instincts.

I think it's fairly widely accepted that the introduction of the hybrid club has provided quite a bonus for us amateur golfers (and some pro's) but you must make of that what you will.

Many players still favour the more conventional selection of woods in various 'calibres' and there's a lot to be said for that approach too.

Have fun finding your way,

BillyG

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Real has hit the nail on the head. For a beginner 3 and 4 irons are hard work. 20 and 23 or 21 and 24 rescues will do everything your 3 and 4 iron will but loads more besides. If you must have a driver go at least 12 degrees - don't be embarressed. There's even a tour pro that uses a 12 as he doesn't hit it high. And a 3 wood or eeven a 2nd hand Ping G2 5 wood - 17 degree would suit.
keep the game easy.....
Good luck

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a driver, 3, 5 and 7 woods. I also have senior hybrids to replace 3 and 5 irons. They are all useful at some stage.
The advice you are getting is all good. I suggest you get to try out the various combinations of clubs but do not be in any hurry to spend your hard earned cash.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was the other way round, I could hit a driver better than a fairway wood and it's still the case. I use a hybrid rather than my 5-wood and haven't got a 3. (Driver is 11.5)

I am starting to notice the gap though so am looking into a fairway that I can hit. Unfortunately the only one so far is the G10 which is outside my budget (which with fuel costs is getting smaller).

Take a trip down to Direct Golf in Cambridge and try the Adams Insight XTD fairway woods. I gave one a go when I was trying some Adams hybrids and nearly traded in my Taylormade on the spot.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I replaced my 3wood by a 19° rescue because I did not notice a significant loss of distance. Maybe this is also due to the fact that the shaft on my 3wood was stiff and the rescue has a regular shaft. But the rescue club is much easier to hit from the fairway - no more destructiv hooks - and especially from the semi.

Thereafter I replaced my 2iron by a 23° rescue, easier from the rough, and I do not intend to go back.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I replaced my 3wood by a 19° rescue
I replaced my 2iron by a 23° rescue, easier from the rough, and I do not intend to go back.

So.....you've swapped your whole strategy then? Neither of these new clubs is a direct replacement.....I'm guessing you know that though! :cool:

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My wife donated me that 19° rescue as a replacement for my 2 iron, which had a regular steel shaft. I hit my 2iron about 190 yards and this rescue which has regular graphite shaft, went 220 yards - the distance of my 3wood (stiff graphite shaft). So I had 2 clubs for 220 but none for 190. Consequently I went to the proshop and tested the various rescues and the 23° was perfect for 190-200 yards.

As an aside, I hit my first-ever Par5 in 2 with my 23° rescue (hole 8, New Course St. Andrews), when I actually wanted to lay-up. Disapointingly 3putted for par from 25 feet :(

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I had 2 clubs for 220 but none for 190.

I'm with you on all this except...I'm still confused how you were hitting a 19* rescue the same as a 15/16* 3 wood (with a longer shaft). I'm not saying you weren't....not at all, but the maths seems....well....odd.....
Maybe your 3 wood was rubbish. If a 19* rescue gets you 220, I'd expect your 3 wood to be up at 235-240?