Replacing Irons?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is probably one of those "I've already decided but talk me into it anyway" threads! :eek:

I'm looking at new irons (play R11s currently) and thinking it might be time to take the plunge. Do we think technology has improved enough over the last six years to make a difference?

Also, I was custom fitted for these six years ago but it's fair to say I'm a much better player now with a significantly changed swing - maybe a new fit would come up with something different?

One thing I've noticed playing with decent players over the last couple of years is that I'm often as long, or longer off the tee than them but a good club or more through the irons shorter. Could just be poorer ball striking with the irons, I suppose, but maybe replacing them might make up the difference?

I've got a fair few vouchers that would make a big dent in the cost. (Frustratingly that can't all be spent in the same shop!)

Comments welcome..... talk me into it!! :whoo:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe have a look at just changing the shafts if your swing has significantly changed?
The R11's are still good clubs in my opinion ............... well I hope they are, I still use them!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whatever your choice is, I think it is the right end of the season to be changing them. Q comps nearly at an end and a good few months to get used to some new clubs through the winter.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever your choice is, I think it is the right end of the season to be changing them. Q comps nearly at an end and a good few months to get used to some new clubs through the winter.

Indeed, I switched to the R11s midseason, after a great start, and the rest of that season was a write off.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I swapped my Mp60s for some 716 AP2s at the start of last season, was one of the best things ive done. What I would do is go for a fitting and see what you like, see what inspires some confidence, if nothings better than what youve got stand pat, if something tickles your fancy, pull the trigger. You cant take your money with you and you definitely cant take vouchers!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
FairwayDodger; [B said:
One thing I've noticed playing with decent players over the last couple of years is that I'm often as long, or longer off the tee than them but a good club or more through the irons shorter. Could just be poorer ball striking with the irons, I suppose, but maybe replacing them might make up the difference?
[/B]

I m the same with a couple my mates who are lower handicap than me, hit the driver and woods off the tee much further, but are at least a club or more shorter with Irons. I'm told its the upward strike they have off a tee with woods, which hinders iron play as you want to be hitting down on the ball.

As for Irons what about going to see that guy at Craigmiller park, Scott Gourley is it. only heard good things about him any head with any shaft, pureing and custom wedge stepping.

not cheap though by all accounts

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I m the same with a couple my mates who are lower handicap than me, hit the driver and woods off the tee much further, but are at least a club or more shorter with Irons. I'm told its the upward strike they have off a tee with woods, which hinders iron play as you want to be hitting down on the ball.

As for Irons what about going to see that guy at Craigmiller park, Scott Gourley is it. only heard good things about him any head with any shaft, pureing and custom wedge stepping.

not cheap though by all accounts

Yeah he fitted my R11s. Would need to see if he takes TPI vouchers...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go and get some new irons, you obviously want to, or you wouldn't be on here talking about it. I'm someone who sticks with clubs for many years as I do not feel the urge to change something that works. Done it before and regretted it as i was worse with the new irons that I got, even after 6 months.

My best advice is to go to AG and take your 6i with you and try some different clubs out from the fitting bags that are set up to you. Also take your I-phone with you as checking the lofts on the clubs that you are trying would need looking into. Don't let them fool you into thinking you are hitting it further when you have a 6i in hand that is 6 degrees stronger than traditional lofts.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A friend of mine has just replaced his 'XCG3' irons with "Mizuno T-zoid Pro's" believe it or not, he had a fitting done with a view to replacing his irons as he wasn't getting what he wanted but he then had a smack in his car so buying 'new irons' went rite outta the window, the cheapest option was to replace the shafts in the 'XCG3's' so looked on eBay for a set of the required shafts which just happened to be fitted with the 'T-zoid' heads...

Once they'd arrived he decided to give them a whack first before the shafts were stripped out and much to his surprise they performed beautifully, so good in fact that he's now had the lies tweaked and will be using them full time...

My point is that new does not always mean better and having the correct shaft for your swing can make all the difference... :thup: