Replacing 10 Year Old Driver

oo7ml

Visit site
Hi,

I have a King Cobra LV4 driver, which I bought 10 years ago.

The driver is still fine, but i'm sure a new driver with today's tech could add a few yards to my game.

I have two questions which i'm hoping some could help me with:

01 - how many yards extra should I expect by changing to a new driver?

02 - are you aware of any website that would show and compare the distance between my driver (King Cobra LV4) and new drivers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi,

I have a King Cobra LV4 driver, which I bought 10 years ago.

The driver is still fine, but i'm sure a new driver with today's tech could add a few yards to my game.

I have two questions which i'm hoping some could help me with:

01 - how many yards extra should I expect by changing to a new driver?

02 - are you aware of any website that would show and compare the distance between my driver (King Cobra LV4) and new drivers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hard to say if you'll get any additional yardage subject to your tecnique

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You may not get any extra distance with a new driver on centre hit shots. Where the new tech helps is shots that are off centre. They are likely to go further and straighter than your current model.

You may squeeze some extra distance but it is not a given. It depends if a new club suits your game better than your current one.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Just go back over all the marketing from Cobra drivers after yours.
They probably advertise 5 or 10 extra yards with each new release.

so you can add up all the gains there.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally I don't think you'll go wrong upgrading. Try some out and find your preference.

This compares 5 years of cobra drivers, the 5 year old driver seems the shortest, skip to 10:50 for results but in short:

2013 - AMP Cell (256 Yards Carry)
2014 - Bio Cell (281 Yards Carry)
2015 - Fly Z (253 Yards Carry)
2016 - F6 (278 Carry)
2017 - F7 (270 Carry)

All shots by Rick Shiels who is nothing if not consistent in my opinion...

watch

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would book a fitting with someone reputable and take along your current driver. Get some numbers with that first then see if what sort of improvement you can gain and the cost associated with it then make a decision.

D

Deleted member 1740

I"m happy to stick my neck on the block and say try the G400, im confident theres not a better driver out there.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If anything, there should be a nicer sound off a new one.

L4V is one of the louder Cobra drivers - though certainly not the loudest! F-Speed and M-Speed take that 'award'!

Sound, adjustability (if that's your thing) and a touch more forgiveness for off centre shots is really the only benefit imo. But if you are 'considering' a new one, then I expect a new one will soon be in the bag - that's just the way we golfers work!!

Worth considering one a couple of years old - the difference in cost (against this year's model) is phenomenal compared to the difference in performance!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
L4V is one of the louder Cobra drivers - though certainly not the loudest! F-Speed and M-Speed take that 'award'!

Sound, adjustability (if that's your thing) and a touch more forgiveness for off centre shots is really the only benefit imo. But if you are 'considering' a new one, then I expect a new one will soon be in the bag - that's just the way we golfers work!!

Worth considering one a couple of years old - the difference in cost (against this year's model) is phenomenal compared to the difference in performance!

Absolutely, when the M4 came out, you could pick up a brand new M3 for peanuts. I couldn't believe the drop in price

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
As people have already said, you will notice the biggest gain on off center hits. I changed from the SLDR to the 2017 M1, not because it was longer, if anything it was a bit shorter. But on an off day I can get away with a bad strike, where as the SLDR would start spraying it every where.