Replacement Conservatory Roof

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My ageing conservatory roof is leaking at the moment. Lucky there hasn't been much rain around here recently!!! Since I've been in the house the conservatory has been too cold in the winter, too hot in summer and too noisy when in rains. So I've started getting quotes for a lightweight tiled roof replacement. The first one was a bit on the scary side, and the second one sounds as if it's going to be similar or worse, but I was probably just being too hopeful.

Anyway, has anyone had a tiled roof replacement done? Was there a big difference in the usability of the room? Was it worth it?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Friend of mine had plastic slate effect tiles put on and a ceiling put in with dimmer spotlights.

Room is now warmer in winter, less like an oven in summer and is a useful extra room.

I’ll see if I can find out the cost

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is a poly roof, and is awful. tbh I never really considered replacing with glass. I'd assumed it might be better than the poly but not much.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have a look at a trocol roof, we are having our extension rebuilt currently due to a few issues (irreplaceable roof panel broke and floor joists weren't done well enough so having it concrete filled instead)
The eco panel glass/insulation/argon panels are off and having taken the slope off the lean to type roof are awaiting the trocol roof going on so we can get the floor finished and walls plastered.
We had a few options, tiled, composite tiles, glass, polycarbonate or trocol. Cost and insulation wise the trocol made the most sense, we will still have kingspan insulation etc too as well as still being able to have a plastered ceiling, bulkhead, downlights, ambient light and a speaker system hooked up to me 7.2 receiver. Cant wait for it to be finished as it's been a month so far since work started.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
We had ours done like that.
It does make the room cooler in summer and warmer in winter but unless you heat it (ours isn't) it'll still get cold in winter.

The down side, which I expected, is that it does reduce the amount of light that gets to the room behind the conservatory

Hitdaball

Visit site
My dad has his done, it’s about 3.5M x .3.5m peaked and included the plastering.

His first quote was for £12k , I rang round and got it down to £7k from memory.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a conservatory with a composite tiled roof supplied and fitted by well established local company.
We already had 2 radiators fitted from our central heating as we spend most of our time in it.
The new roof has made a big difference to our use of the conservatory in winter.
Aesthetically it looks like a garden room and we use it 12 months of the year.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Resurrecting this old thread as this is something we are strongly considering.

We have a glass roof on our conservatory, six panels in a lean-to type style. The aim is to replace the roof with something more fixed to make the room more liveable 365.

Anglian came around and could only offer a glass replacement option (solar glass) for 10k. 🫤

CozyRoofs were next up and offered what we wanted in terms of a tiled roof and plastered ceiling. They quoted £8.5k. Anyone had experience of them?

A local company were third up and talked a good game. They were a bit higher up the market and unsurprisingly the quote was 13k.

We have one more company coming Mon.

It's looking like CozyRoofs currently. Wanted to know if anyone has had recent experience with conservatory replacement roofs, and in particular CozyRoofs?

TIA.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Resurrecting this old thread as this is something we are strongly considering.

We have a glass roof on our conservatory, six panels in a lean-to type style. The aim is to replace the roof with something more fixed to make the room more liveable 365.

Anglian came around and could only offer a glass replacement option (solar glass) for 10k. 🫤

CozyRoofs were next up and offered what we wanted in terms of a tiled roof and plastered ceiling. They quoted £8.5k. Anyone had experience of them?

A local company were third up and talked a good game. They were a bit higher up the market and unsurprisingly the quote was 13k.

We have one more company coming Mon.

It's looking like CozyRoofs currently. Wanted to know if anyone has had recent experience with conservatory replacement roofs, and in particular CozyRoofs?

TIA.
Having been in the blinds industry for the best part of 30years I would say go for a tiled roof with a plastered interior ceiling.
Despite what companies say about glass roofs with their special glass that reflects the heat, believe me it doesn't make an awful lot of difference. Very difficult to stop the glare from the sun's rays.
If I could afford it I would have no hesitation to have my glass roof replaced with tiled exterior and plastered interior.
We use our conservatory as a dining room all year. We had low level electric radiators fitted, which we use when it's cold.
On the roof we have duo blinds, ( look like a honeycomb) and they help a lot. On the floor we had carpet fitted over the lineolium floor covering.
Some people have a tiled floor which is not the best in this country with our cold damp winters.
As for your quote for £8000, that sounds like a very good deal. 👍
Good luck.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having been in the blinds industry for the best part of 30years I would say go for a tiled roof with a plastered interior ceiling.
Despite what companies say about glass roofs with their special glass that reflects the heat, believe me it doesn't make an awful lot of difference. Very difficult to stop the glare from the sun's rays.
If I could afford it I would have no hesitation to have my glass roof replaced with tiled exterior and plastered interior.
We use our conservatory as a dining room all year. We had low level electric radiators fitted, which we use when it's cold.
On the roof we have duo blinds, ( look like a honeycomb) and they help a lot. On the floor we had carpet fitted over the lineolium floor covering.
Some people have a tiled floor which is not the best in this country with our cold damp winters.
As for your quote for £8000, that sounds like a very good deal. 👍
Good luck.
Just to add, £10 grand for 6 glass panels!!!! Tell em you're avin a larf! 😁

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We had our replaced a couple of years ago, it's made a massive difference. As well as being cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, it's much quieter when it's chucking down outside.

here's the quote

• Remove existing conservatory roof structure and dispose of from site
• Installation of guardian warm roof (installed and insulated as per Guardians guidelines)
• Installation of Kingspan insulation to conservatory
• Installation of gutters and down pipes to conservatory
• Installation of all internal plaster boarding to conservatory ceiling
• Fully plaster conservatory ceiling
• Supply and fit No.4 LED Spot lights
• Installation of internal UPVC trimmings
• Installation of external lead work
• Full clean conservatory inside and out
• Fully seal conservatory inside and out
• Remove all rubbish from site and leave clean and tidy

Total (excl VAT) £6000.00

VAT @ 20% £1200.00

TOTAL (incl VAT) £7200.00

(We got a few quotes and they varied wildly. We had some folk saying they could do the job in a day. The company we went with took 3 days, and were very good.)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We had our replaced a couple of years ago, it's made a massive difference. As well as being cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, it's much quieter when it's chucking down outside.

here's the quote

• Remove existing conservatory roof structure and dispose of from site
• Installation of guardian warm roof (installed and insulated as per Guardians guidelines)
• Installation of Kingspan insulation to conservatory
• Installation of gutters and down pipes to conservatory
• Installation of all internal plaster boarding to conservatory ceiling
• Fully plaster conservatory ceiling
• Supply and fit No.4 LED Spot lights
• Installation of internal UPVC trimmings
• Installation of external lead work
• Full clean conservatory inside and out
• Fully seal conservatory inside and out
• Remove all rubbish from site and leave clean and tidy

Total (excl VAT) £6000.00

VAT @ 20% £1200.00

TOTAL (incl VAT) £7200.00

(We got a few quotes and they varied wildly. We had some folk saying they could do the job in a day. The company we went with took 3 days, and were very good.)
I fear that an equivalent quote today would be fairly close to £10k…😟