Removing Shaft Adaptors

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know there's a few here that change shafts quite often as experiments so I guess you must be doing this yourself, so as per the title, to those who do this, how do you do it?

Is there a secret 'knack' without a puller, or is that the only way?

I have a heat gun and have pulled a steel shaft no problem, but I've only ever tried one graphite shaft and it didn't go well.

It'd be nice to be able to ignore what it's come out of when searching for a new one to try.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
our pro stripped one off for me recently just using heat, destroyed the adaptor but came off the shaft clean to enable the right adaptor to go on. expect having a puller is optimal though

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think a shaft puller is essential for graphite shafts as any twisting motion will damage the fibres at the end of the shaft. You may get away with it if you were planning to tip trim the shaft but in that case I would be inclined to just trim the shaft anyway and buy a new adapter.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
its very easy to do without destroying the adapter. the ferrel cant be saved though.

you take the srew out the head and before you put it in the shaft you put on a large washer. the washer is what goes into the shaft puller rather than the tip. using a heat gun you can soften the glue, remove the adapter, drill out the glue and fit another shaft. actually done one this morning

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Excellent tip Dave using a large washer, cheers!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
its very easy to do without destroying the adapter. the ferrel cant be saved though.

you take the srew out the head and before you put it in the shaft you put on a large washer. the washer is what goes into the shaft puller rather than the tip. using a heat gun you can soften the glue, remove the adapter, drill out the glue and fit another shaft. actually done one this morning

I was wondering if I could do it without going to the expense of getting a shaft puller.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
no mate. even with a shaft puller it requires a soft touch. what adapter are we talking about?

Don't know yet.

Re my other thread about shafts, if I could remove adaptors myself I could ignore whatever was currently fitted to the shafts listed on ebay.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know yet.

Re my other thread about shafts, if I could remove adaptors myself I could ignore whatever was currently fitted to the shafts listed on ebay.

dont let the adapter put you off. most shafts are sold by pros that might do it for free before sending or your local club fitter would charge you about £5 for removing one.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was wondering if I could do it without going to the expense of getting a shaft puller.

it can be done pal, done 10+ shaft pulls without a puller on graphite shafts with adaptors, all perfectly with zero issues.

Heat adaptor, use screw in adaptor to sit in teeth of a pair of pliers, stand on pliers with both feet and pull straight up. (I'd advise wearing shoes while doing this and doing in on a surface you can't damage with the screw head.)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
it can be done pal, done 10+ shaft pulls without a puller on graphite shafts with adaptors, all perfectly with zero issues.

Heat adaptor, use screw in adaptor to sit in teeth of a pair of pliers, stand on pliers with both feet and pull straight up. (I'd advise wearing shoes while doing this and doing in on a surface you can't damage with the screw head.)

I'm in no way disputing what your saying but i have had two shafts snap on me that i suspect weren't pulled properly. just something to consider when it only costs a fiver to have one professionally removed

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
where/ho did they snap? While pulling with a puller?
I've been stood next to a pro while pulling a shaft, he snapped the shaft at the adaptor of a brand new club.
I trust myself more than a mars bar seller.

Your advice is sage, but it can be done without a puller all the same.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been stood next to a pro while pulling a shaft, he snapped the shaft at the adaptor of a brand new club.

they snaped in use at the exact point they enter the club. one was a oban devotion too!!!!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I'm in no way disputing what your saying but i have had two shafts snap on me that i suspect weren't pulled properly. just something to consider when it only costs a fiver to have one professionally removed

Me too. Had a Black Tie professionally pulled & installed in another adapter. After a few weeks the tip just disintegrated. Fortunately, the Black Tie is stiff for a long way towards the tip & I had it tip trimmed, added a 1" extender & it worked absolutely fine.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Is that not a rather derogatory view?

Our pro is far more than a Mars bar seller. He's the life blood of the club and more importantly he's a good friend. Each to their own though.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is that not a rather derogatory view?

Our pro is far more than a Mars bar seller. He's the life blood of the club and more importantly he's a good friend. Each to their own though.

another sensitive do gooder. he's clearly joking and if he wasn't, he isn't talking about your mate is he!!

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ive done a few with out a puller i use a piece of wood/baton and drill a hole in it. i then put a bolt through the wood with a washer into the screw adaptor. Then heat the adaptor stand on the wood and pull straight up.Pretty easy really

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
another sensitive do gooder. he's clearly joking and if he wasn't, he isn't talking about your mate is he!!

Certainly no "sensitive do gooder".

Comes across as derogatory not joking or sarcastic in any way I read it. Still it is the season of good will I'm sure the golf professionals will see the funny side of it.