Remembering your first big golfing trip away …

sunshine

Visit site
Great weekend also, the pub in Cavan town still carries the best Guinness on the island vote from me, that wee old lady pouring it must have been around to get instructions from Arthur Guinness himself! :D
The greens at Farnham had some of the best surfaces I'd ever seen, Slieve Russell was a good test (I believe the best moderator won on the day too, eh Phil? I still have the trophy :D ) and Concra was its usual self, a nightmare if you weren't long and straight off the tee, such a scenic place to play 18 holes. IIRC the World Cup was on and we went into Cavan and watched a match or two and drank plenty! Great fun and right up there with the rest of the Ballyliffin Craic Classic weekends!

This is the son who owns the pub and her mum to the left, honestly she is stood there somewhere.

Pizza place was decent when in need of some drunken grub, only question was whether the eyes were as big as the belly!

My eyes are still burning from Bob turning up in...in this at Slieve Russell.

Im not the most photogenic so this is your lot. Made a great par at this signature par 5 at SR.

The rabble, what a decent bunch of lads, awful golfers, but real salt of the earth fellas. John B won the trophy btw (bottom right).

LanDog on one of the signature holes at Concra Wood with upwards of 200 yards carry over water. Some never made it home...

Bloke dressed all in red wearing yellow shoes, having a go at the dress sense of a bloke dressed in all yellow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
1688579539829.png

sunshine

Visit site
I am envious of people who have this many friends who play golf. I arranged a golf trip last year, for the first time we've ever done anything like that - there was only 4 of us though.

Mate I wouldn't worry about it. 4 is a great number for a golf trip, easy to find a teetime, you can all fit in one car / taxi, easy for accommodation, meals etc.

When you're in a big group, you either have to have everything planned like a military operation (which can suck the fun out of it), or you drift around aimlessly after the golf because nobody can agree on where to go.

My first golf trip was down in Jerez in a group of 4. Played some lovely courses including Montecastillo, spent the weekend in Sevilla with no golf on Sunday so we could have a late one. Had some fun with a hen do in a salsa bar, crashed a wedding in our hotel. Great memories :LOL:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Great weekend also, the pub in Cavan town still carries the best Guinness on the island vote from me, that wee old lady pouring it must have been around to get instructions from Arthur Guinness himself! :D
The greens at Farnham had some of the best surfaces I'd ever seen, Slieve Russell was a good test (I believe the best moderator won on the day too, eh Phil? I still have the trophy :D ) and Concra was its usual self, a nightmare if you weren't long and straight off the tee, such a scenic place to play 18 holes. IIRC the World Cup was on and we went into Cavan and watched a match or two and drank plenty! Great fun and right up there with the rest of the Ballyliffin Craic Classic weekends!

This is the son who owns the pub and her mum to the left, honestly she is stood there somewhere.

Pizza place was decent when in need of some drunken grub, only question was whether the eyes were as big as the belly!

My eyes are still burning from Bob turning up in...in this at Slieve Russell.

Im not the most photogenic so this is your lot. Made a great par at this signature par 5 at SR.

The rabble, what a decent bunch of lads, awful golfers, but real salt of the earth fellas. John B won the trophy btw (bottom right).

LanDog on one of the signature holes at Concra Wood with upwards of 200 yards carry over water. Some never made it home...
All walking in wrong door and ending up behind the bar got us some strange looks ..

Hen night and forumn member was fun

AussieKB

Visit site
I was lucky enough to meet up with a group (12) that took me to Norfolk where we played Hunstanton, Brancaster and Woodhall Spa for a week, I got hooked on these kind of trips, been to Scotland, Wales and all over England, Ireland (5 times), France (numerous) and Spain.

Now back in OZ, I travel to Thailand every year for the past 10 years with a group that has ranged from 12 to 32, we have 24 going in three weeks, plus I have made numerous trips back to England and have been lucky enough to have GM's who arrange games at many different courses, over 200 now over there.

In OZ I have played in every State and Territory, quite often it is up to me to arrange these trips, mostly I keep it at 8 or 12 players, much easier to organize.

Hope to get back over to England next year to play some new courses.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
My first family golf trip was from Dunfermline to a caravan site left of the 9th hole at Fortrose GC.
About 1968.
It rained every day.
We found a lot of balls in the field next to the site though. :)
Got quite good at monopoly.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I remember it well. Southerness Friday, 50mph winds and rain lashing down off the Irish Sea. Friday night drinking whiskey with "Big Bob" the farmer until four in the morning. We stopped because Bob had a 7 mile walk back to the farm to milk his cows.

Saturday, 36 holes at Powfoot, total washout because of my 24hr hangover.

Sunday, back to Southerness, an almost completely empty course in great weather. The course ate us alive.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
First of only two I’ve done was to the Algarve in 1985, with a uni pal and two friends from the golf club I had joined after moving to Bristol. Vilamoura and Quinta both a couple of times. Most memorable thing was my mate liberally applying tanning lotion about his self without realising it would also tan the palms of his hands…which it did 🤣