Relief in the General Area

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like many courses ours is very wet at the moment and we have several bunkers out of play due to abnormal ground conditions. We have set the local rule to say that relief MUST be taken to avoid confusion but this is giving us a problem when dropping at the nearest point of relief where balls are plugging or rolling into very poor lies.

I know we can implement a local rule for lifting, cleaning and replacing the ball in the general area (Model LR E2) which would allow the scores to be acceptable for handicap. Would it be acceptable to modify this in this specific circumstance to allow a drop and then place the ball if it is being moved out of an abnormal ground condition in a bunker and it still be acceptable for handicap purposes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are requiring players to take free relief from specific 'out of play' bunkers.
When the player has dropped the ball he has now got a new situation. Just as if his shot had put him there. He can now use any authorised local rule E-2 or E-3

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know I'm stretching it but the NPR from some of the flooded bunkers are really bad places which offer a terrible drop.

Is it possible to modify MLR E3 to specifically allow placing after a drop from a totally flooded bunker in the general area (not fairway) and it still be a valid round for handicap?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know I'm stretching it but the NPR from some of the flooded bunkers are really bad places which offer a terrible drop.

Is it possible to modify MLR E3 to specifically allow placing after a drop from a totally flooded bunker in the general area (not fairway) and it still be a valid round for handicap?
You can check with England Golf but IMO no.
I suggest you use a Dropping Zone which can be moved around to more reasonable ground but which does not give players an unfair advantage. But remember the ball is in a bunker which on another day could have been playable. Also a drop is only from knee height now.

Incidentally, how 'flooded' are the bunkers?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Two types of problem. Some are to the brim with nowhere to drop and have to be pumped out, some are only partly filled but angled such that if you are in the water there is nowhere to drop NNTP. We have over 90 bunkers on our main championship course.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This doesn't address your original problem but remember if over 50% of bunkers are out of play, competitions cannot be qualifiers. But it seems that they will be dried out before we can play again.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This doesn't address your original problem but remember if over 50% of bunkers are out of play, competitions cannot be qualifiers. But it seems that they will be dried out before we can play again.
Actually that has been suspended under the Covid protocol so if we were able to play we could do so.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like many courses ours is very wet at the moment and we have several bunkers out of play due to abnormal ground conditions. We have set the local rule to say that relief MUST be taken to avoid confusion but this is giving us a problem when dropping at the nearest point of relief where balls are plugging or rolling into very poor lies.

I know we can implement a local rule for lifting, cleaning and replacing the ball in the general area (Model LR E2) which would allow the scores to be acceptable for handicap. Would it be acceptable to modify this in this specific circumstance to allow a drop and then place the ball if it is being moved out of an abnormal ground condition in a bunker and it still be acceptable for handicap purposes.

Do you not have the allowable Temp rule for lift clean and place in a bunker where you play. So after dropping the player could place, gets rid of one problem - plugging .

bunkerblaster

Visit site
The thread title fits so I will revive this blog please.
We are now experiencing very wet conditions and after the second lockdown a lot of golfing traffic with players eager to get out on the course. Unfortunately a lot of courses are boggy and muddy.
So we can use Model Local Rules E2 and E3
E3 Lift clean and place (within 6 inches no nearer the hole) on closely mown areas in the general area.
E2 Mud on ball outside of closely mown in general area, lift clean and replace (on the same spot)
Rule 16 embedded ball. If so you may lift clean and drop within 1 club-length but not nearer to the hole.
Request; please confirm that Rule 16 gives the additional benefit of 1 club length relief area for embedded/plugged balls in the general area.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The thread title fits so I will revive this blog please.
We are now experiencing very wet conditions and after the second lockdown a lot of golfing traffic with players eager to get out on the course. Unfortunately a lot of courses are boggy and muddy.
So we can use Model Local Rules E2 and E3
E3 Lift clean and place (within 6 inches no nearer the hole) on closely mown areas in the general area.
E2 Mud on ball outside of closely mown in general area, lift clean and replace (on the same spot)
Rule 16 embedded ball. If so you may lift clean and drop within 1 club-length but not nearer to the hole.
Request; please confirm that Rule 16 gives the additional benefit of 1 club length relief area for embedded/plugged balls in the general area.
Not sure where the one club length comes from, my understanding is 6 inches

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure where the one club length comes from, my understanding is 6 inches
Relief for Embedded Ball
When a player’s ball is embedded in the general area and relief is allowed under Rule 16.3a, the player may take free relief by dropping the original ball or another ball in this relief area (see Rule 14.3):

• Reference Point: The spot right behind where the ball is embedded.
  • Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One club-length, but with these limits:
  • Limits on Location of Relief Area:
    • Must be in the general area, and
    • Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Relief for Embedded Ball
When a player’s ball is embedded in the general area and relief is allowed under Rule 16.3a, the player may take free relief by dropping the original ball or another ball in this relief area (see Rule 14.3):

• Reference Point: The spot right behind where the ball is embedded.
  • Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One club-length, but with these limits:
  • Limits on Location of Relief Area:
    • Must be in the general area, and
    • Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point.

Sorry, had a “Preferred Lies” moment.