Relief from Sprinkler heads

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So, I was at the open yesterday and sitting in the stand behind the first green. A tee shot ran through the green and was in the slightly longer grass. A sprinkler head was on the line to the pin.

The player was allowed to drop his ball about 6 inches by the rules official with that group (was Simon Dyson if I recall correctly).

So, my question - is this within the core rules of golf? Or must there have been a local rule in place for The Open?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
...is this within the core rules of golf? Or must there have been a local rule in place for The Open?

yes and no!

it's a standard LR with a wording in the Rules, permitting relief if the sprinkler head is within 2 CL of the green and the ball is within 2CL of the sprinkler head. relief is 'nearest point of relief'. Appendix 1b - LR 6

it is on most Tour hard cards as a LR

the reason it's not in the main rules is indicated int he note to the application of the rule - Note: The Committee may restrict this Local Rule to specific holes, to balls lying only in closely-mown areas, to specific obstructions, or, in the case of obstructions that are not on the putting green, to obstructions in closely-mown areas if so desired. “Closely-mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

Last edited:

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's clarified it well!

When I saw it I knew that I could not take the same relief on my home course but I also knew it must be permitted as the drop he took was over seen by a rules official.

No wonder we amateurs find the game so much harder when there are not such rules in place that we can take advantage from!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
local rules usually give you relief if the sprinkler head interferes with the ball OR your stance, but NOT the path of the ball......

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did you mean to say that DV?

It's the main Rules that will give you relief from an immovable obstruction such as a sprinkler head only if it interefers with ball, stance or swing. There is no relief simply for interference on line of play.

Hence the need for a local rule on the lines indicated by Duncan when both the sprinkler head and ball lie in close proximity to green.

Specimen local Rule in the Rules is recommended as follows under Appendix Ib 6 Immovable Obstructions Close to Putting Green

"Rule 24-2 provides relief, without penalty, from interference by an immovable obstruction, but it also provides that, except on the putting green, intervention on the line of play is not, of itself, interference under this Rule.

However, on some courses, the aprons of the putting greens are so closely mown that players may wish to putt from just off the green. In such conditions, immovable obstructions on the apron may interfere with the proper playing of the game and the introduction of the following Local Rule providing additional relief, without penalty, from intervention by an immovable obstruction would be warranted:

“Relief from interference by an immovable obstruction may be obtained under Rule 24-2. In addition, if a ball lies through the green and an immoveable obstruction on or within two club-lengths of the putting green and within two club-lengths of the ball intervenes on the line of play between the ball and the hole, the player may take relief as follows:

The ball must be lifted and dropped at the nearest point to where the ball lay that (a) is not nearer the hole, (b) avoids intervention and (c) is not in a hazard or on a putting green.
If the player’s ball lies on the putting green and an immovable obstruction within two club-lengths of the putting green intervenes on his line of putt, the player may take relief as follows:

The ball must be lifted and placed at the nearest point to where the ball lay that (a) is not nearer the hole, (b) avoids intervention and (c) is not in a hazard.
The ball may be cleaned when lifted.

Exception: A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if interference by anything other than the immovable obstruction makes the stroke clearly impracticable.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF LOCAL RULE:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.”

It's a fairly common and standard LR.

Matty, you may want to check the local Rules printed on the card where you play. You may well be pleasantly surprised.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's clarified it well!

When I saw it I knew that I could not take the same relief on my home course but I also knew it must be permitted as the drop he took was over seen by a rules official.

No wonder we amateurs find the game so much harder when there are not such rules in place that we can take advantage from!

Quite surprised if there is no local rule at your place. I can't remember the last course I played that didn't have the local rule if there are sprinkler heads on the apron close to the green.