relief from GUR

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
today one chap found himself in a hazard, part of which was GUR, he went to drop outside the hazard, and I asked him to drop in the hazard. Was I right or wrong.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends where the nearest point of relief was!

If the nearest point was still in the hazard then yes, but you did need to determine where it was and drop accordingly

Chris

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends where the nearest point of relief was!

If the nearest point was still in the hazard then yes, but you did need to determine where it was and drop accordingly

Chris

Rule 25-1b(i) says the nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. Therefore the ball must be dropped outside the hazard

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 25-1b(i) only applies if the ball is "through the green" (i.e. not on the tee or green of the hole being played or in a hazard). If the ball is in a bunker Rule 25-1b(ii) applies

"ii) In a Bunker: If the ball is in a bunker, the player must lift the ball and drop it either:

(a) Without penalty, in accordance with Clause (i) above, except that the nearest point of relief must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker or, if complete relief is impossible, as near as possible to the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole, on a part of the course in the bunker that affords maximum available relief from the condition; or

(b) Under penalty of one stroke, outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped."

So free drop must be in the bunker but you can drop out side under penalty of one shot.

It's the same rule that applies when there is casual water in the bunker - both GUR and casual water are classed as "abnormal ground conditions".

Be aware of any local rule however that may put the whole bunker of of play and allow a free drop outside the bunker.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rule 25-1b(i) only applies if the ball is "through the green" (i.e. not on the tee or green of the hole being played or in a hazard). If the ball is in a bunker Rule 25-1b(ii) applies

"ii) In a Bunker: If the ball is in a bunker, the player must lift the ball and drop it either:

(a) Without penalty, in accordance with Clause (i) above, except that the nearest point of relief must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker or, if complete relief is impossible, as near as possible to the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole, on a part of the course in the bunker that affords maximum available relief from the condition; or

(b) Under penalty of one stroke, outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped."

So free drop must be in the bunker but you can drop out side under penalty of one shot.

It's the same rule that applies when there is casual water in the bunker - both GUR and casual water are classed as "abnormal ground conditions".

Be aware of any local rule however that may put the whole bunker of of play and allow a free drop outside the bunker.

I misinterpreted (or misread) the original post. I imagined something I have seen,like a grass mound in the middle of the bunker, and that that mound had been declared GUR.

I stand corrected.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I see what you mean.

In fact I've also misread the OP a tad and assumed the hazard is a bunker. If it's a water hazard the following applies

"Note 1: If a ball is in a water hazard (including a lateral water hazard), the player is not entitled to relief, without penalty, from interference by an abnormal ground condition. The player must play the ball as it lies (unless prohibited by Local Rule) or proceed under Rule 26-1."

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I see what you mean.

In fact I've also misread the OP a tad and assumed the hazard is a bunker. If it's a water hazard the following applies

"Note 1: If a ball is in a water hazard (including a lateral water hazard), the player is not entitled to relief, without penalty, from interference by an abnormal ground condition. The player must play the ball as it lies (unless prohibited by Local Rule) or proceed under Rule 26-1."

:D Can you have GUR in a water hazard?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw the rule as posted above but because the hazard was 'a dry ditch' I expected it to be classed the same as a bunker, i.e relief must be taken inside the hazard, if it is the nearest poin tof relief.

Thanks for your replies, looks like I'm in for a fine next time for misinterpretation of the ruling

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw the rule as posted above but because the hazard was 'a dry ditch' I expected it to be classed the same as a bunker, i.e relief must be taken inside the hazard, if it is the nearest poin of relief.

Thanks for your replies, looks like I'm in for a fine next time for misinterpretation of the ruling

Was the hazard marked as such? Definition of a hazard is "any bunker or water hazard". It's unlikely a dry ditch would be classed as a bunker but if it was classed as a water hazard then it would have been marked by stakes. If it was not marked as such then under the rules if would be fair to assume it wasn't actually a hazard at all. In which case you'd proceed under normal GUR procedure.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I see what you mean.

I'm not sure that I can see the point of having GUR within a water hazard

UNLESS

for some reason the area needed protection and play was prohibited from within the GUR.

Where to drop then?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a side GUR question. We have a flower bed on the 10th that is known by the members as GUR and a free drop. It is not now marked as GUR and there is nothing on the score card to indicate it as such. Or, as I was told on Saturday, FA on the first tee to inducate that all flower beds were GUR. I went to check after the round. So, is this still GUR or not?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
marked with yellow stakes

if thats the case then it would be proceed under rule 26-1 he could have played it as it lies or taken relief under penalty of 1 stroke. Either way ( as i'm sure you are now aware) there was no requirement to drop in the hazard. Live and learn. In these situation then it can be wise to put 2 balls in play (one under each of the assumed conditions) and clarify the issue on return to the club house.

of course this all depends on the wording used by the comittee for the GUR. if it is "may" then you can play as it lies. if the ruling is "must" then there is no option. as his ball was in a water hazard the then it's hard luck and he has to take the penalty.

For the flower bed issue then i'd ask the club to clarify the stance of the committee and ensure there is a notice regarding the matter if it isn't on the score card.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Might have GUR to protect new planting or seeding within the margin of the hazard or stop people playing in an area where work is going on in the hazard (bridge repair, drainage etc). If play is prohibited from GUR in a water hazard by a local rule, just drop out of the water hazard under the usual rule (26-1).

Remember of course that Rule 25 isn't just about GUR it also covers things like holes made by burrowing animals. Again no free relief if the ball is in a water hazard.