Relief from abnormal course condition in bunker - water

Kevin846

Visit site
Whilst playing on a lovely sunny morning after a downpour the evening before, my ball landed in a green-side bunkers.

On one hole my ball was in water within the bunker and there was nowhere to take relief in the bunker as to the amount of water in the bunker.

On another hole I was once again in a bunker with water. My playing partners suggested I place the ball in the small amount of sand which was not under water. This would have meant I would be standing in water when attempting to play my shot. I declined.

Can anyone give me the correct answer please to both bunker problems and don't say keep out of bunkers. If I could I would.

Many thanks. Kevin

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Rule 16.1c, explains that in both situations you can either:
1. Use the point of maximum possible relief as the reference for where you take a drop without penalty
2. Under penalty of 1 stroke, drop your ball outside the bunker, the reference point is then anywhere on a line back from the bunker keeping the spot where the ball lay in the bunker between the hole and the reference point.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless there was a change in the latest rules changes you can drop in/or stand in water after dropping in a bunker.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
RE Point 1 in post #2
The maximum possible means that the ball and/or your feet may still be in water.

However, if the bunker is full to the gunwales, the Committee may declare the whole bunker to be an Abnormal Course Condition (and a No play Zone), which would require you to take free relief outside the bunker.

Kevin846

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, One of the bunkers was full of water with all sand covered so unable to place the ball anywhere within the bunker. When taking the drop outside the bunker, do I take it from the line the ball entered bunker but no nearer the hole as the bunker was to the side of the green. Dropping on the line where the ball entered would therefor take the bunker out of play.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
No, you must choose a reference point that keeps the point where the ball lay in the bunker between the hole and that reference point. You must then drop within one club length of the reference point but not nearer the hole.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
so unable to place the ball anywhere within the bunker
1) If you are taking relief inside the bunker you drop the ball not place.
Edit:
2) If there was no Local Rule in force you can take back on line relief outside the bunker under 16.1c(2) a cost of a penalty stroke.
But note the procedure is not as straightforward as one might expect.

Last edited: