Regripping clubs

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do it myself no vice, just a Stanley knife to score the grip and then rip it off. Put my custom 2wraps on tape and then lubricate the grip and then the taped club. Slide and align - more lubricant the easier but the longer to set. It's really easy to do putter grips are a challenge to get straight but seriously when you get few under your belt you'll be re-gripping all the time

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was horrified at the price the pro quoted last year for a full set and did them myself for the first time. Would echo most of what has been said, is easier to do than you think, plenty of online videos which I watched, I used a small workmate style bench to grip (usually stood on for decorating) and a stanley knife no other tools required.

Saved myself circa £60 and will do it going forwards as still got some tape, solvent etc.

Would encourage anyone to give it a go as easy to do and very satisfying result !

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Borrowing a vice at the weekend and solvent and tape on its way! Just need to find out if in need .580 or .600 whatever that means

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Borrowing a vice at the weekend and solvent and tape on its way! Just need to find out if in need .580 or .600 whatever that means

.580 or .600 relate to the core diameter of the grip.

Ideally you want to match it to the core of the shaft is going onto, but unless your overly specific about the size of your grip, it's not that important.

jasondransfieldgolf

Challenge Tour Pro
jasondransfieldgolf.wordpress.com
You will be surprised how easy it is. As already mentioned use plenty of lubrication till you get used to doing them. Put the head against a wall and when it is on give it a few taps on the floor. You will have so much time to check alignment if you use plenty of turps. All I ever use is double sided tape, stanley knife, scissors and a towel, a vice isn't needed really.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the idea of giving it a go and doing myself I am very tempted

My garage has a work bench I could get a vice and prob the first time I do it would cost the same as a pro in set up alone but over time would save

However how strong is the odour of the lubricant? I am over sensitive to smells, nail varnish gives me a headache. when glossing I get a migraine so dont wnna do something thats gonna knock me out for the day lol

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you use a vice make sure the bench won't move. I tried a vice once on a bench that wasn't fixed and ended up bending a shaft because I was pushing the toe of the club against a wall when the bench moved.

It's just as easy imo wedging the head on the floor against a wall. At least the shaft is in a natural position and you can apply pressure straight down the line of the shaft.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I've always found it easy but, today, one of the four grips I was doing wouldn't go all the way on because there wasn't any white spirit on the last two inches of the shaft. Instead of taking it off as soon as I realised it was sticking I persevered then found I couldn't move it either way. A mistake I won't repeat. Incidentally, make sure you have a dry towel or cloth to hold the grip with while pushing it on because your hands are likely to be slippery.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When you pour the white spirit in the grip, shake it around and pour it back in the bottle.
Then, put the end of the shaft in the bottle as far as it will go then shake again.
That ensues both parts are well coated

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I was hoping they would have turned up by now but alas they have not, fingers crossed tomorrow so I can get them done for the weekend!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always found it easy but, today, one of the four grips I was doing wouldn't go all the way on because there wasn't any white spirit on the last two inches of the shaft. Instead of taking it off as soon as I realised it was sticking I persevered then found I couldn't move it either way. A mistake I won't repeat. Incidentally, make sure you have a dry towel or cloth to hold the grip with while pushing it on because your hands are likely to be slippery.
If you get a welding rod round it off at the end with a file and bend it 90* at other end make sure straight bit is long enough to reach end of grip

slide it down the grip while it's still semi wet you can pour some spirit down the grip while it's still on the shaft this will let you push it on or remove it and start again.

if I want to save a good grip this is the method I use.

just watch you don't force the rod through the grip.

if on a graphite shaft protect it just under grip with masking tape so you don't scratch the finish.

all you need is to find a welder.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Thanks for that. I thought of trying to get some white spirit down to the butt end but didn't have the know how or the patience. I've seen a pro remove grips intact by injecting white spirit using a syringe with a fine needle. There's a video on YouTube using compressed air to take off & put on grips without any lubrication but it's dangerous in the wrong hands, apparently.

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been regripping clubs for years, you don't need a vice if you don't have one, I just use white spirit, a towel, a tray to collect the drips and a sharp blade to remove the old grip and tape.

I usually semi fill the new grip with white spirit holding my finger over the hole at the bottom, give it a good shake to coat the inside and then allow it to drain out of the hole over the grip tape.

Try to avoid getting too much solvent/white spirit on the outside of the grip as this can often remove the paint on the grip once your start pushing it on (hence the towel)