Reducing carbon emissions

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't the cost around £15k. The average person struggles to pay to replace a standard boiler let alone spending 15k.
Next door changed their boiler about 2 months ago. It was a Baxi, 10yr warranty. £1,800 fitted. How can you expect people to add a zero onto that, approx, whilst also being told that the new boilers won't get your house as warm, you may need additional radiators etc. They are currently the equivalent of electric cars, nowhere near practical for most.

Our boiler is 12 years old and so we know we are in the zone where it may need to be changed at some point in the near future. I'd love to go heat pump, as I'd love to go electric car, but financially it just doesn't enter the equation. The heat in winter is also troubling, it gets cold here ?.

Hopefully we have some installers on here who can put our minds at rest.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
''It is hoped no new gas boilers will be sold after 2035.''
Which to me, means I can still buy one in 2035 and keep it for 20 years by which time I'll be 95.
Having said that, I'm sure the boffins will come up with an affordable alternative in the next 5 years or so.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I saw this last night and thought brilliant, a step in the right direction. However one piece I read. It says running costs will be comparable to a normal gas boiler. ? So I pay £10-15K ( less £5k ) for a boiler that cost the same to run as a gas boiler. ?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
If it costs the same to run as a gas boiler then for the sake of the planet etc it is something we should do, I.e change from gas .
But.....how do they think people can afford installation? The fact is, they can't.
Like someone said, it's the electric car scenario.

Bottom line
Until the boffins bring down the initial cost, it won't happen.

I believe they will bring it down, pressured by the Government.
I read that at the moment that you need planning permission for the installation ?
That'll have to go for a starters!

But the planet cannot afford an attitude that dismisses these initiatives.
As Lincoln said, "As our case is new, we must think anew. "

Tashyboy

Visit site
If it costs the same to run as a gas boiler then for the sake of the planet etc it is something we should do, I.e change from gas .
But.....how do they think people can afford installation? The fact is, they can't.

Bottom line

I read that at the moment that you need planning permission for the installation ?

One of the reasons it will cost the same is because of the “ green” levy on electricity. My concern is with the country going to electric cars and boilers can we produce that much electricity. Furthermore the subsidies will cover the cost of 90,000 boilers yet the government wants 600,000 a year being installed by 2028.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Bottom line

it comes under permitted development. providing its just one heat pump , not bigger than a certain amount, positioned not over a pitched roof and not within 1 m of a boundary then its fine

the costs are very very high. however thats extreme cases.. their are heat pumps that are cheaper.. think 18k is top top cost.. like when electric cars are quoted its a telsa.. you can get them on screw fix for like 5k but need the fitting costs

one thing i think thats understated is with a combi you dont have a hot water tank.. heat pumps look set to return to (all be it smaller and more effient) tanks of hot water again.. I mean space for one

id love one.. ill look at it when the kitchen is for renewal in like 15 years as that where the boiler is and the boiler will be 17 years old by then so least it will make sense to look into

the air con i had fitted this year doubles up as a heat pump for the winter.. been using it to heat the downstairs from 3am-6am when electric is cheaper .. costs less than 25p for both units to run but the downstairs is nice and warm for the girls when we they get up

ground source heat pumps cost more and prob will be the ones needed in much colder places like scotland.. however they work in the antartic etc so it is proven tech just as you say costs need to drop

by time the ban comes in the prices will be much more compariable

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it comes under permitted development. providing its just one heat pump , not bigger than a certain amount, positioned not over a pitched roof and not within 1 m of a boundary then its fine

Where I live their is no permitted development. Conservation area. Although it gets ignored by my neighbour.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the reasons it will cost the same is because of the “ green” levy on electricity. My concern is with the country going to electric cars and boilers can we produce that much electricity. Furthermore the subsidies will cover the cost of 90,000 boilers yet the government wants 600,000 a year being installed by 2028.

yes and no.. we need the micro nuclear plants up and running.. their in the pipeline but not yet.. once their running we become more sustainble

we now have a high speed cable to norway to trade our wind power for their hyrdro power.. however these cables are amazing but the fire on the french one (our side) has proven that if it goes down costs skyrocket so we need to make sure we produce enough at home as well as get some in from europe

my dream is heat pump
batteries on house (50kw would do)
induction hob
solar

then I could run my house without relaying on the grid too much..

guy that came into work to fix the CCTV last week was telling me about his set up.. he has 32kw battery he bought from an written off merc.. built into storage. with inverters .. cost about 5k to set up.. he uses the cheap electric to charge the batteries slowly at night and then uses them to power his house during the day.. thats brilliant and much less strain on the grid

id like to have that kind of set up but with solar on my loft roof to feed into the batteries aswell so that im not just using the grid

money ofc is the issue. thats a lot of cash ..

could bin off gas tho!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the points I have heard in past is that ground source pumps only work really well with underfloor heating. Is it the same with Air Source heat pumps?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the points I have heard in past is that ground source pumps only work really well with underfloor heating. Is it the same with Air Source heat pumps?

They work with normal radiators aswell just not as efficient, basically you need your house to be well isolated for them to be effective

You will need them on longer than gas ones to get the temp right

Newbuilds they work wonders in as you got good insulation and maybe underfloor heating

But like a converted old church. Fire up the wood burner

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
''It is hoped no new gas boilers will be sold after 2035.''
Which to me, means I can still buy one in 2035 and keep it for 20 years by which time I'll be 95.
Having said that, I'm sure the boffins will come up with an affordable alternative in the next 5 years or so.

Which is fine as long as you can afford the gas to run it.

Tashyboy

Visit site
yes and no.. we need the micro nuclear plants up and running.. their in the pipeline but not yet.. once their running we become more sustainble

we now have a high speed cable to norway to trade our wind power for their hyrdro power.. however these cables are amazing but the fire on the french one (our side) has proven that if it goes down costs skyrocket so we need to make sure we produce enough at home as well as get some in from europe

my dream is heat pump
batteries on house (50kw would do)
induction hob
solar

then I could run my house without relaying on the grid too much..

guy that came into work to fix the CCTV last week was telling me about his set up.. he has 32kw battery he bought from an written off merc.. built into storage. with inverters .. cost about 5k to set up.. he uses the cheap electric to charge the batteries slowly at night and then uses them to power his house during the day.. thats brilliant and much less strain on the grid

id like to have that kind of set up but with solar on my loft roof to feed into the batteries aswell so that im not just using the grid

money ofc is the issue. thats a lot of cash ..

could bin off gas tho!

I already have solar, and I have looked at getting batteries my problem is finding the right company to come in and give the right advice re a set up.