Red Ed

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Now hes made arguably the worst political decision in recent history in a vain attempt to get middle and lower class votes! Anyone with half a brain can see its a short term shocker! Its actually quite insulting to all the UK public to think we cant see through this crap.

That'll be Georgie boy bringing forward his Help to Buy scheme then

So folks who haven't the spare cash to save for a deposit get a loan from the government - a loan do not forget. And so potential house buyers with currently no spare cash for a deposit buy a house using the government loan for the deposit - and will almost certainly have a mortgage at a very low interest rate pretty much up to their limit of affordability. And then in a few years time interest rates go up - and their payments increase. But they have little spare cash as salaries/wages will not have increased very much over the few years we are talking about. So things are tough. And then they have to start repaying the loan - and of course they can't. And the government has a nice load of bad debt on their books - Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac anyone? Bizarre.

Or weren't you referring to that paricularly terrible coalition government policy - there are others!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do work in the "public sector" and haven't had a pay increase for 9 years.
I've also had a massive change to my pension, work longer, pay more, get less.
But you probably already know all this, seeing as your an authority on EVERY subject.
:blah:

:rofl:

Being insulted by a faceless, nameless. keyboard warrior, now that is insulting.

I think you started the insults.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now hes made arguably the worst political decision in recent history in a vain attempt to get middle and lower class votes! Anyone with half a brain can see its a short term shocker! Its actually quite insulting to all the UK public to think we cant see through this crap.

In the scheme of things, this is a nothing announcement. If he had announced that he was going to nationalise the utility companies, that would be something. 20 months of no price rises? Pah!. There will be loopholes, get outs and other ways around it.

The worst political decision in recent times was one of several clearing the way for irreversible privatisation of the NHS and removing the responsibility of the SoS Health for the whole service. There is no way back from those.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the scheme of things, this is a nothing announcement. If he had announced that he was going to nationalise the utility companies, that would be something. 20 months of no price rises? Pah!. There will be loopholes, get outs and other ways around it.

The worst political decision in recent times was one of several clearing the way for irreversible privatisation of the NHS and removing the responsibility of the SoS Health for the whole service. There is no way back from those.

So what's so bad about privatisation of parts of the NHS?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Because the most profitable parts will get cherry-picked and the less attractive parts ignored, so that the sections of the public who need it get a worse service, whilst those now making a huge profit from it trot off to their BUPA hospitals? :rolleyes:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Because the most profitable parts will get cherry-picked and the less attractive parts ignored, so that the sections of the public who need it get a worse service, whilst those now making a huge profit from it trot off to their BUPA hospitals? :rolleyes:

OK, heres a different view: The parts that are poorly run at huge losses will be operated by people that give better value for money and a better service to the customer. As a matter of fact many services have been opted out to BUPA hospitals for years and was started by the Labour Government, the people that received treatment this way get a much better experience at no more cost. And thats what matters, not protectionism!

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Quite an interesting read this thread, I've got my doubts the above will/can happen.

I think there' a few key points that people are missing however, firstly, the suppliers don't make that much money from the supply to Joe Bloggs, (ave about £8-£15 per annum) which granted if you spread out over 6mill customers, it starts to add up however if you compare that to companies of the same size say Tesco then its miniscule. Anyway, say they make £60mil, a lot of money, however to get that £60mil they've got to put in upwards of a billion.... it aint a great return, and if something goes wrong, then that can easily disappear. (Japan/Germany).

Also as a side note, at any given time a retail supplier is probably owed around £400 million from customers.... that's an astronomical figure which im sure they would like to re-coup. (I personally think this is one of the biggest issues, and all customers should be on Prepayment)

They make most of the money through the generation business, what really needs to happen is that the two are separated, therefore Company A cant buy its own supply from its own Generation business at an inflated cost... do you really notice that the generation business made x billions?? not really.

Lastly, as for Centrica 'turning off the lights' they couldn't really do that, the network/national grid is still publicly owned and have plenty in reserve, even if Centrica stopped all production tomorrow you probably wouldn't notice, and one of the other suppliers would be more than happy to step in and make the billions mentioned above.

A friend gave a great analogy the other day, he basically said it would be like 'Man Utd cancelling all of there matches because of the pasty tax on half time sausage rolls'.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Milibands dad according to the Daily Mail - The Man Who Hated Britain. Fair comment to 'expose' the background of 'Red Ed' or gutter tripe from a vile and pernicious newspaper...?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Milibands dad according to the Daily Mail - The Man Who Hated Britain. Fair comment to 'expose' the background of 'Red Ed' or gutter tripe from a vile and pernicious newspaper...?

Mmmm,let me think, the Daily Mail. My favourite read.... I'll go for answer B Bob.

And in unrelated news here's a picture of Lord Rothemere, one of the founders of the Daily Fail with Hitler. Who according to Wikipedia On 1 October 1938, Rothermere sent Hitler a telegram in support of Germany's invasion of the Sudetenland and expressing the hope that 'Adolf the Great' would become a popular figure in Britain

dm.jpg

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did any one see the Deputy Editor (complete slime ball) take the flak via Newsnight and... of all people... Alastair Campbell :rolleyes: giving him a right tongue lashing!! Talk about a bun fight I have never seen any thing like it. And as for the cowardly Chief Editor who sent his Deputy to take the flak why he played golf or whatever!! :eek:
These people at the Mail are complete and utter cowboys and how they are still in business and people read this tabloid garbage is beyond me. Is this a stronger argument now for stronger Media regulation and should the Mail take the same route as the News of the Screws?? I am far from a "Red Ed" fan but no one deserves to have their family slagged off like this.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Did any one see the Deputy Editor (complete slime ball) take the flak via Newsnight and... of all people... Alastair Campbell :rolleyes: giving him a right tongue lashing!! Talk about a bun fight I have never seen any thing like it. And as for the cowardly Chief Editor who sent his Deputy to take the flak why he played golf or whatever!! :eek:
These people at the Mail are complete and utter cowboys and how they are still in business and people read this tabloid garbage is beyond me. Is this a stronger argument now for stronger Media regulation and should the Mail take the same route as the News of the Screws?? I am far from a "Red Ed" fan but no one deserves to have their family slagged off like this.

I did - and golly gosh did Alastair Campbell make him squirm and vaccilate. Loved Campbell's barely contained or concealed fury with him and Paul Dacre. The DE kept using some word that Emily Maitlis didn't really understand and at first was desperate to ask him what it meant - I didn't know either. But as he kept using it to avoid answering directly she let it go - as it made it very obvious that he was trying to be clever in order to obfuscate :)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ideologically, nothing. I work in the private pharma sector.

But if you look at the value and quality the NHS has got from privatisation, it has been universally disastrous and sucked massive amounts of money out of the system, and when cherry picking of more and more happens, you will see a major loss in quality. People think it will turn into BUPA with free flowing Nespresso coffee in the waiting rooms.

D

Deleted member 18588

Ideologically, nothing. I work in the private pharma sector.

But if you look at the value and quality the NHS has got from privatisation, it has been universally disastrous and sucked massive amounts of money out of the system, and when cherry picking of more and more happens, you will see a major loss in quality. People think it will turn into BUPA with free flowing Nespresso coffee in the waiting rooms.

So how much quality is there to lose?

Having now lost the benefit of PMI I am dependent upon the public sector and I am afraid I see all the old problems for outpatients. Sudden cancellation of appointments, multiple bookings for the same time, lack of cleanliness in both wards and public areas.

If some organisation wishes to cherry-pick those services it can only get better for the person that the NHS too often overlooks; THE PATIENT.

D

Deleted member 1418

Ed Millibland can win the election by doing two very simple things:

1) He goes on national tv and apologises profusely for being part of the Government who got us into the mess we are currently in, and gets every single one of the current shadow cabinet who held government jobs during the last few years of the Labour government to do exactly the same thing; and

2) He public ally fires that repugnant bully Ed Balls..............and uses the body parts that shares his surname to test the new Taylormade SLDR that is bound to be released in the next few weeks!

He'd then have my vote :thup: :D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ed Millibland can win the election by doing two very simple things:

1) He goes on national tv and apologises profusely for being part of the Government who got us into the mess we are currently in, and gets every single one of the current shadow cabinet who held government jobs during the last few years of the Labour government to do exactly the same thing; and

2) He public ally fires that repugnant bully Ed Balls..............and uses the body parts that shares his surname to test the new Taylormade SLDR that is bound to be released in the next few weeks!

He'd then have my vote :thup: :D

Agreed ........ But I still wouldn't vote for him!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
That'll be Georgie boy bringing forward his Help to Buy scheme then

So folks who haven't the spare cash to save for a deposit get a loan from the government - a loan do not forget. And so potential house buyers with currently no spare cash for a deposit buy a house using the government loan for the deposit - and will almost certainly have a mortgage at a very low interest rate pretty much up to their limit of affordability. And then in a few years time interest rates go up - and their payments increase. But they have little spare cash as salaries/wages will not have increased very much over the few years we are talking about. So things are tough. And then they have to start repaying the loan - and of course they can't. And the government has a nice load of bad debt on their books - Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac anyone? Bizarre.

Or weren't you referring to that paricularly terrible coalition government policy - there are others!

Help to buy, the main crux of the policy at least, isn't a loan to the buyer but a guarantee to the lender.

This allows banks to hold less capital per loan, therefore reduce the margin and make mortgages pricing more competitive/affordable.

I'm sure you'lll be equally outraged at this but at least on the right lines this time :thup:

What it may well do is create another housing bubble as they are almost betting on house prices rising so they never actually have to fork out if the borrower defaults but that is a different argument.....