recording your swing

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought my missus a Kodak playsport ZX3 (or something).
It would be great for golf swings, if I could ever get my hands on it.
It was about £100. HD too. :)

Bazzab18

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not sure on where you can find a camcorder for less than 100 quid but u do know that you need something with a shutter speed of approx 1000 (p/s?). Many will have a sports recording mode which is an automated mode with correct shutter speed.

I can talk from experience as I use Leadbetter Interactive and you need this shutter speed!

Good luck

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Be careful not to confuse shutter speed with frames per second.
I film most swings on 240 fps and thats plenty slow enough to see all the elegant positions.
doubt you'll get a camera that films video at that speed for under £100 unless you go 2nd hand Casio 100/150 or the ex fh 20 but even 2nd hand thats about £150-200

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
even my top of the range video camera wont do 240fps :( does 50 frames at 1080p though, but then again its 50 frames of a crap swing, lol

might see what the wifes camera will do it at.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
bobmac thanks i never realised there was a difference between shutter speed and frame rate. For anyone that doesnt know i'll give a small explanation (of how i understand it) :):

Shutter speed basically effects blur and frame rate basically effects how many times the clubs movement will be captured. Therefore a camera with a high framerate and slow shutter speed might record most movements of the club but with blurry images. conversely, a camera with a low frame rate and high shutter speed would be crystal clear i.e. no blur, but the amount of club movements captured would be reduced.......i think

ideal camera high - High shutter rate and high frame rate.

This one seems to be a good one by all accounts and reasonable priced at around £110

http://www.digital-cameras.com/product.asp?ProductName=Casio EX-FS10 Blue&ProductID=19368

here's a video of it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWH_cQO_znc&feature=related

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a camcorder as heading away for a safari with the mrs later in summer, so will prob. get a camcorder with a good zoom, rather than a zoom lens for camera.

Anybody recommend a decent camcorder that woudl also have the frame rate suitable for recording gold swings.

I would be in market for a mid-range type of camera, so presumably that would cost £300-400.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use a casio exilim fh-20 , its an awesome high speed camera perfect for capturing golf swings. You can pick them up for about £150 secondhand, its probably been superceded now but dont know the equivalent current model.

I use C-swing editing software.

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
I use a casio exilim fh-20 , its an awesome high speed camera perfect for capturing golf swings. You can pick them up for about £150 secondhand, its probably been superceded now but dont know the equivalent current model.

I use C-swing editing software.

thanks - is this functionality only on cameras thoiugh, was looking for a camcorder with this, as proably getting one anyway, however finding it hard to find one that seems t ohave this functionalit (besides Sony which offer camcorders with a 5second high frame speed option only)