Record distance drive on Saturday

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing off the 3rd at my old club, 3 wood off the tee for safety. Likely tried to hit it too hard, barely caught the ball with the bottom of the club, tremendous pitch mark about 6 inches in front of the tee peg and "spun" back about a foot behind the markers.
Could only laugh really

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Playing off the 3rd at my old club, 3 wood off the tee for safety. Likely tried to hit it too hard, barely caught the ball with the bottom of the club, tremendous pitch mark about 6 inches in front of the tee peg and "spun" back about a foot behind the markers.
Could only laugh really

Someone I once played with did that.
Once we had all stopped laughing we thought the chances of that happening must be about 1.000,000 to 1.

Swango1980

Visit site
Swung hard, almost missed the ball completely, and just caught enough of it to hit it horizontally sideways in to rough about 60cm in front of me. I'm blaming the horrendously High winds :) Managed to get out of there with a double (par 4). Not done something as bad as that for about 20 years.

What is the worst drive you have ever hit?
I played in a big competition in Northern Ireland. Loads of people were around the first tee watching players drive off. I decided to knock a safe 3 wood off the tee. However, I came down so steeply and fat, that the club head hit about a foot behind the ball, and then almost bounced over the ball. It just brushed the top off the ball, or the wind knocked the ball off the tee (so the ball was on the ground, still touching the tee).

Humiliated, I picked the tee up, hit the ball quickly down the fairway and ran after it. I ended up with a 5 nett 4 for 2 points, and won the competition. But, the only shot I had an audience was one of the worst shots in my life.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Any tee shot in front of the masses at a GM event is a test of nerves. Seen the odd stinker (and hit the odd one). Managed to play in some GM organised events (prize days and GM golf days) and that is ramped up further with a camera man lurking forward and right some 20 yards filming your first effort. Often feel he's a brave man

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any tee shot in front of the masses at a GM event is a test of nerves. Seen the odd stinker (and hit the odd one). Managed to play in some GM organised events (prize days and GM golf days) and that is ramped up further with a camera man lurking forward and right some 20 yards filming your first effort. Often feel he's a brave man

I recall playing in an inter district game at one of the Suffolk courses [might have been Bury St Edmonds].
I was lead match with all two teams of eight players watching intently on the first tee.
I had not played the course and the drive was blind after about 230 yards with a marker pole in what looked like the middle of the fairway
Just hit it on the marker pole I was advised by a team mate,
Ripped it, dead straight, smashed full toss into the marker pole and kicked right into the rough.:love:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This was Golf Monthly at Callaway "Kings of distance" at the London Club in 2015. 2 players from each team represented the team in a long drive attempt with tour pros, well known coaches etc watching

I was next to go!

In equal measures...that was horrifying and hilarious to witness....poor Tony.....really felt for him....for about a second :ROFLMAO:
The term "Monked it" was used for many a month afterwards

It was also bloody freezing in that wind

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Teed up on the 1st at the Old Course.
I was so nervous, stood in front of the big windows, thinking the whole world was watching me.
Proceeded to put my tee shot into the Valley of Sin.
I was so embarrassed despite my playing partners thinking if was funny.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Friend of mine played a firey tee shot on a par 4 and hit a straight push at a line of trees about 75 yards away. Cue a huge 'thunk' and then a deathly silence as we tried to work out where it went. A good 5 seconds later it dropped down from on high, 2 foot behind him.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A friend of mine pushed his tee shot straight right into a tree about 50 yards away from the tee. The ball dropped straight down closely followed by a wood pigeon with its head smashed in.

D

Deleted member 23344

A friend of mine pushed his tee shot straight right into a tree about 50 yards away from the tee. The ball dropped straight down closely followed by a wood pigeon with its head smashed in.

At least he got a birdie.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was Golf Monthly at Callaway "Kings of distance" at the London Club in 2015. 2 players from each team represented the team in a long drive attempt with tour pros, well known coaches etc watching

I was next to go!

It was quite a good swing though.!!
Does Trackman measure minus distance?