recommended new kit?

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
i am 34 and play off a approx 16 handicap and I am after some new/used kit. I have been playing for about 3 year and think its time to invest in some clubs to last me the next few years as I have a few hundred quid saved .In my bag I have a

Ping G5 Driver 10.5 degree reg
Taylormade Mid Rescue 19 degree reg
Taylormade RAC OS Iron 3-SW reg ( never carry the 3,4 irons)
Ping g2i Piper Putter

I am think of replacing or adding to my kit. I am about 50/50 using my driver on a good day i can drive 300+ yards straight on a bad day a lot of miss hits. So I might keep my driver but I do want a G15.

My irons I hit quite well but would like some Ping g10/15

I going to buy for sure a 3/5 wood, hybrid and a putter

So I would like some recommendation on what clubs would be good for my next step. Thank for any advice

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not try to pick up a G10 3 wood. I'd be lost without at least one club between the driver and hybrid/rescue.

t.b.h. the irons you have are one of the best TM ever did. Can't see some G10/15 irons helping one bit. i.i.r.c. they have almost identical ratings on the MPF.

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
i just said on certain day if the weather is good I can drive well and hit a couple over 300 yard if i hit it sweet. So not that bothered about changing my driver.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My advice would be to try as many clubs as you can BEFORE parting with any cahs and not going in with any pre-conceptions as to what you want. Apart fromt he irons I wouldn't look to change too much except for getting a decent 3 wood so that you can use that off the tee instead of the driver. Other than that get some lessons

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
sure your not a 6 handicapper with 300+ drives

I played with JustOne on Wednesday evening. As anybody knows who has played with him, he hits the ball a long, long way. On one hole he absolutely bombed it with his driver. One of the longest drives I have ever seen him hit. It seemed to go on forever and a day.
He's just got himself a SkyCaddie and for the first time decided to measure a drive with it.
Result?
313 yards.
I love it when somebody says they can "often" hit 300+ yards

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
bloody hell just because I said if I drive well(very rarely) I can hit a couple over 300 yards, people make it a big issue of it. Im 34 not 12 and a very average golfer. I hit a shot the other week on a par 4 with was 315 yards and got on to the green and hit a good drive on a par 5 with was 300ish. My driving is usually very poor and some go 150yards, it does not mean if you connect sweet with one it cant go near the 300 yard mark.

DingleBerry

Assistant Pro
Visit site
lol! lynchy are those 300+ drives off tees that are down hill :) Im not a 6 handicapper but i can hit 300+ drives.wind assisted that is :)

lynchy76

Club Champion
Visit site
I was on top of a hill lol, it was quite a flat hole. I dont hit the ball very high but they roll quite far Im sure most people if they hit a drive well they can hit it near the 300 mark.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The subject of 300+ drives is a touchy one on here, and best left unmentioned. 300 yards is a long way, and many have no idea how far 300 is.

Before gps became common, an awful lot of guys, me included, thought they hit around the 300 yard mark. Based on length of hole by the card, and shot left into green. Then gps became avaialble. What a leveller that was. Spank it down the middle, measure that, it's got to be massive, bloody gadget doesn't work, that can't only be 245.
Yep, every now and then (very rarely for me) 300 is possible. However, only about 20 pro's on the tour get near 300 average, and these are guys with optimised kit, optimised swings, and get down the gym alot.

Trick is, you never quite know where the card was measured from on the tee, or if the hole is accurately measured (it won't be). Golf courses don't exactly like to be considered short, so alot of them boost the yardages a bit. Like willy measuring.

There are some big hitters out there, and there are alot of deluded people too. I play with a lot of different golfers, many of them way longer off the tee than me, many way shorter, but I don't play with many who hit 300+.

Distance is also weather / course conditions dependant. Hitting 300 on bone hard fairways for 1 month of the year doesn't make a 300 yard average.

The average swing speed with a driver is less than 90 mph. This will give less than 200 yard carry. My swing speed is 96mph, which gives me 220ish carry with some roll. Even guys with 100mph swing speeds are going to struggle to carry 240.

Not saying you can't hit it 300, but this is why it is a touchy topic best left alone.