Recommendations near Edinburgh

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
My friend wants to buy her nephew a round near Edinburgh for his 21st birthday. She doesn't play and has asked me for help but I don't know that area so I'm asking the experts!

Budget max is £80 for a Saturday in June. His handicap is 10 or thereabouts.

Can anyone make any recommendations at about the that price point?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would have to check prices but Gullane #2 (#1 probably too exoensives) or North Berwick (worth paying a bit extra for IMO) would be my choice. Both 20 or so miles east of Edinburgh on 'Scotland's Golf Coast' (magical part of the world).

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Problem with a Saturday is members competitions.

I'd head to Dunbar before I went back to Gullane. However it has a large membership which probably doesn't encourage visitors on a Saturday in June! Possibly Craigielaw may be a better shout but not sure how many members they would have. Personally think that a Sunday would open up many more options. I love Mortonhall if you fancy an inland course.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve played Duddingston on a Saturday in the summer and had no problems but might have been lucky as usually busy with comps that time of year, it’s a good course though and not to expensive, Prestonfield is also handy but not as good as Duddingston imo. Both are 15 minutes from City Centre

Visit site
Longniddry is an excellent course for a 10 handicapper. Kilspindie probably too short, though fun.
Gullane 2 would be a good bet, especially on a Saturday, though I have never played there at the weekend.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Longniddry is an excellent course for a 10 handicapper. Kilspindie probably too short, though fun.
Gullane 2 would be a good bet, especially on a Saturday, though I have never played there at the weekend.
id' be surprised if Kilspindie would even let you on on a Saturday TBH, they only have certain days visitors can play. Not sure about Gullane 2 or 3.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
id' be surprised if Kilspindie would even let you on on a Saturday TBH, they only have certain days visitors can play. Not sure about Gullane 2 or 3.

Kilspindie is decent but its a course best played without woods to make it more interesting, just too short for the modern game!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Saturday in June, you could tee off at 6pm and get round comfortably so can't imagine it would be too difficult to get a time later in the day.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Kilspindie is decent but its a course best played without woods to make it more interesting, just too short for the modern game!

I completely disagree - sorry.

Yes, it is not long but can test on a windy day, especially on the way out into a prevailing wind.

It's a wonderful course and has the best par 3 in East Lothian.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I completely disagree - sorry.

Yes, it is not long but can test on a windy day, especially on the way out into a prevailing wind.

It's a wonderful course and has the best par 3 in East Lothian.

I never said it wasn't a great course, just not a challenge when it's flat calm.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I never said it wasn't a great course, just not a challenge when it's flat calm.

Any course where you don't go round in under par is a challenge. Kilspindie is a course where you can score well but if you don't think your way round it can still cause you trouble.

Main thing for me as a visitor is to have fun and Kilspindie certainly provides that.