Recommendations for new Driver

azbedwell

Visit site
So, as title suggests, I am looking to upgrade my driver and looking for recommendations.

Basically I am wondering if people know what would be the most similar driver to my current one. I currently play a TaylorMade r11s (RIP - Phenom stiff shaft).

I am currently a 8.4 handicap (and to be honest have been pretty stable between 7-10 for years now) and basically play twice a week in summer and once a week in winter. I am not a massive driver but hit what I consider a decent ball length - no idea on ave distance, probably like 230-250. I also consider my driving accuracy/control as a big strength of my game. Tend to have a baby fade on the drive but when really driving well its pretty die straight. 38 years old and again dont know stats but have fairly fast swing speed (not pretending to be tour speeds like some but had new irons fitted not that long ago and I remember being comfortably in the range of having stiff shafts)

Now I am actually happy with the current driver (which is why keen on something as similar to it as possible) so not desperate to change but realise the driver is 12 years old and so potentially coming to end of its life.

Also I just can't afford/justify a brand new driver - i genuinely think they are insanely expensive - and also am happy to shop around on 2nd hand markets. So looking for something £150-£250 and no problem if a year or two old - not expecting the latest model of anything.

TM Sim2/max would be my first guess but obviously TM drivers may have changed a lot in last decade or so.

So that's it basically, any advice greatly appreciated.

Springveldt

Visit site
I find the best value for money currently is Callaway Preowned. They have a sale on just now, can get a Paradym for £254 in "Like New" condition which will basically be new and that is last years model. Can get a Rogue ST driver for under £200 which will also be mint and that's the 2 year old version, both should be a decent upgrade to your current driver.

They also give you a 14 day return window as long as you return the club in the same condition if you aren't getting on with it.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
So, as title suggests, I am looking to upgrade my driver and looking for recommendations.

Basically I am wondering if people know what would be the most similar driver to my current one. I currently play a TaylorMade r11s (RIP - Phenom stiff shaft).

I am currently a 8.4 handicap (and to be honest have been pretty stable between 7-10 for years now) and basically play twice a week in summer and once a week in winter. I am not a massive driver but hit what I consider a decent ball length - no idea on ave distance, probably like 230-250. I also consider my driving accuracy/control as a big strength of my game. Tend to have a baby fade on the drive but when really driving well its pretty die straight. 38 years old and again dont know stats but have fairly fast swing speed (not pretending to be tour speeds like some but had new irons fitted not that long ago and I remember being comfortably in the range of having stiff shafts)

Now I am actually happy with the current driver (which is why keen on something as similar to it as possible) so not desperate to change but realise the driver is 12 years old and so potentially coming to end of its life.

Also I just can't afford/justify a brand new driver - i genuinely think they are insanely expensive - and also am happy to shop around on 2nd hand markets. So looking for something £150-£250 and no problem if a year or two old - not expecting the latest model of anything.

TM Sim2/max would be my first guess but obviously TM drivers may have changed a lot in last decade or so.

So that's it basically, any advice greatly appreciated.

Are you after more distance?
A different ball flight?
Tighter dispersion?

Would £250 worth of lessons not help your game more?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you after more distance?
A different ball flight?
Tighter dispersion?

Would £250 worth of lessons not help your game more?
I know this is a popular thing to say, but as his current driver is 12 or so years old, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could see more distance & forgiveness simply by upgrading.

At OP - I think Ping make the best drivers personally. I always end up going back to Ping. You can basically select any of their G# models that fits your budget and it'll be good. Callaway make good drivers as well, as Springveldt said, check out the Callaway Preowned site for the best prices on them. A low-key option could be Cobra, not the longest but usually solid, forgiving and often a touch cheaper than other brands in the second-hand market. You can even get a 2023 model, the Aerojet, for less than 200.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I know this is a popular thing to say, but as his current driver is 12 or so years old, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could see more distance & forgiveness simply by upgrading.

At OP - I think Ping make the best drivers personally. I always end up going back to Ping. You can basically select any of their G# models that fits your budget and it'll be good. Callaway make good drivers as well, as Springveldt said, check out the Callaway Preowned site for the best prices on them. A low-key option could be Cobra, not the longest but usually solid, forgiving and often a touch cheaper than other brands in the second-hand market. You can even get a 2023 model, the Aerojet, for less than 200.

Fair comment.

It's also not beyond the realms of possibility that he could see less distance & forgiveness simply by upgrading, without a fitting.
Different shafts and heads suit everyone differently depending on the swing speed, path, delivery angles etc etc.

We don't know how consistent the OP hits the sweet spot, it might be every time or it might be all over the face.

Buying any club without a fitting is a gamble IMO.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair comment.

It's also not beyond the realms of possibility that he could see less distance & forgiveness simply by upgrading, without a fitting.
Different shafts and heads suit everyone differently depending on the swing speed, path, delivery angles etc etc.

We don't know how consistent the OP hits the sweet spot, it might be every time or it might be all over the face.

Buying any club without a fitting is a gamble IMO.
Correct, but I was guessing his old one wasn't fitted either. So I'm sure he would see some benefits, even if they aren't the maximum amount he could see by getting fitted.

I have sympathy for anyone who doesn't want to go down the fitting and brand new driver route nowadays, it is stupidly expensive.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Several options.

Go t a demo day or a fitting centre - see what the recommendations are and then look on the second hand sites
Look at Golfbidder etc and use their 7 day trial period to try it and see if it helps and if not return it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You don’t trust GC3/GCQuad or Trackman? Interesting.
Settings set high. I was getting 250+ yards on the monitor when I am always averaging around 220 according to Arcoss and the other stats tracking software I have had on my clubs. No way I can get it that far irrespective of fit, spec and model. Static fitting wanted me silver dot on the Ping chart (approx 4 degrees upright). I have never been that and have always been green or blue. Two poor fittings but there are undoubtedly good AG stores out there but I won't be using them. My issues have been well documented on here throughout my time on the forum

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had several fittings that shall we say were far from satisfactory across several local stores. I don't trust the fitting knowledge of the staff, the data on the monitor and their product knowledge
Agree with this. I think it varies by branch but it seems to be pot luck whether you get fitted by someone who knows what they're doing, or someone who's the same handicap as yourself and making it up as they go along. Given that it's free though, I have used an AG fitting before just to try a few clubs and draw my own conclusions.

RedKing

Visit site
Agree with this. I think it varies by branch but it seems to be pot luck whether you get fitted by someone who knows what they're doing, or someone who's the same handicap as yourself and making it up as they go along. Given that it's free though, I have used an AG fitting before just to try a few clubs and draw my own conclusions.
Handicap is irrelevant. Seen so many professionals and + handicap golfers that are terrible fitters. And also high handicap golfers that are incredible fitters.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Handicap is irrelevant. Seen so many professionals and + handicap golfers that are terrible fitters. And also high handicap golfers that are incredible fitters.
I just meant someone who doesn't know much more than yourself but they're winging it. I've certainly had that from an AG fitting, as I say, I just ignored him and drew my own conclusions.

RedKing

Visit site
Settings set high. I was getting 250+ yards on the monitor when I am always averaging around 220 according to Arcoss and the other stats tracking software I have had on my clubs. No way I can get it that far irrespective of fit, spec and model. Static fitting wanted me silver dot on the Ping chart (approx 4 degrees upright). I have never been that and have always been green or blue. Two poor fittings but there are undoubtedly good AG stores out there but I won't be using them. My issues have been well documented on here throughout my time on the forum
Static measurements are merely a guide. And Almost impossible to measure up wrong 😅

Might be interesting to book a fitting nowadays and make a more updated judgement.

My own business “years and years” ago was not as good as it is now. Times change.

I’ve worked for several brands and retailers over the year, AG being one of them in the past. Can honestly say I would never have been told to falsify data.