Recommend a hybrid

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a ping g410 3 hybrid and I just can’t get on with it. Every time it’s a fairly sizeable slice. Had a look at the adjustable head settings to see if it can have a draw bias, but nope, total opposite, you can make the lie flatter which I believe makes it fade even more.

So I’m possibly looking for a new one, second hand, around £100, easy to hit and preferably with a draw bias setting. Any recommendations?

RichA

Visit site
I get what you're saying. I've struggled with hybrids because I'm tall and the lie angle is always quite flat.
Cobra Baffler hybrid is good. It's more upright than others to begin with and the sole is rounded so it sits quite neutrally even if you raise or lower the shaft by few degrees. There's no feeling that the toe is going to catch the ground first.
There are many on GC4C for £20-50 so experimentation wouldn't be too costly.
The Baffler fairway woods are also good for tall people.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve got a ping g410 3 hybrid and I just can’t get on with it. Every time it’s a fairly sizeable slice. Had a look at the adjustable head settings to see if it can have a draw bias, but nope, total opposite, you can make the lie flatter which I believe makes it fade even more.

So I’m possibly looking for a new one, second hand, around £100, easy to hit and preferably with a draw bias setting. Any recommendations?
Get a 5w and cut an inch off the shaft. You’ll thank me lol

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I get what you're saying. I've struggled with hybrids because I'm tall and the lie angle is always quite flat.
Cobra Baffler hybrid is good. It's more upright than others to begin with and the sole is rounded so it sits quite neutrally even if you raise or lower the shaft by few degrees. There's no feeling that the toe is going to catch the ground first.
There are many on GC4C for £20-50 so experimentation wouldn't be too costly.
The Baffler fairway woods are also good for tall people.
(y)(y)(y)

Bought my 16° in 2010 from my club pro for £25.
Bought my 20° in more recent years from Ebay for £14.

Loads on Ebay and they can be 16°, 18°, 20° or 23°.

Don't worry about the black paint falling off in places. As long as the faces are sound they could last forever.

My usual shot with these is high and straight with an occasional draw.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Callaway do really nice hybrids. They seem to put a little extra weight in the head and that gives me more confidence when using them certainly. I have a G25 hybrid and I am prone to waft that around a little bit because the head is so light. I have an Apex hybrid but I have borrowed mates clubs over the years and all seem to have a similar look and feel.

RichA

Visit site
(y)(y)(y)

Bought my 16° in 2010 from my club pro for £25.
Bought my 20° in more recent years from Ebay for £14.

Loads on Ebay and they can be 16°, 18°, 20° or 23°.

Don't worry about the black paint falling off in places. As long as the faces are sound they could last forever.

My usual shot with these is high and straight with an occasional draw.
My regular low handicap pp regularly asks me why I don't just fill my bag with Bafflers. The head construction being almost entirely metal makes them hard to kill. Prob why there are so many of them available second hand.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, think I’ll take a look at the callaway pre-owned site…

I already have a 4 wood (200-210 yards) and a 7 wood (175/180 high), so I’m after something to fill the gap and also some help out of rough if I’ve still got a fair distance to the green.

Skytot

Visit site

7 wood. Sorry just seen you’ve got one

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Callaway do really nice hybrids. They seem to put a little extra weight in the head and that gives me more confidence when using them certainly. I have a G25 hybrid and I am prone to waft that around a little bit because the head is so light. I have an Apex hybrid but I have borrowed mates clubs over the years and all seem to have a similar look and feel.
Yeah, I think that's it you know. I had a Cobra LTDx hybrid and didn't get on with it at all, just as you say, felt light in the head which was weird. With my Callaway ST Max hybrid I can feel the head weight better in the swing and I hit it much nicer.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I usually like Ping, but for some reason can't get on with their hybrids.
I now play a 4 & 5 Callaway Paradym X
Fully adjustable for loft, draw & fade.
They are lovely.