Reasons not to buy Motocaddy

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
(Wife's trolley - I told her to stick with Powakaddy) !

It's an S18, it's a few years old, probably out of warranty. The cable going into the battery has split (see pic). I called Motocaddy . . . . stamped on the battery is a sticker saying 5 year guarantee, "ah, yes, that's a 5 year guarantee on the battery, the cable is only guaranteed for 2 years" was the reply! "OK, I can see that the bottom of the battery screws off - how much is the part" I asked. "The part cast £10 buy we will not sell it to you only to one of our authorised service agents" they replied. They gave me two email address for the nearest agents (20 miles) - I email them and I just got a reply back with a quote for £50. That's £40 for 10 minutes work and he can charge that because he knows that I can't buy the part and gfit it myself. - Disgraceful.

Attachments

• MKB.png
    MKB.png
    926.9 KB · Views: 32

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That £40 also covers any issues and means you can take it back if there are problems with that same cable.

interestingly, my cable went in a similar place and was over 2 years old and they repaired it after shipping it back to them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not get some black 2 core, pop the battery cover off, connect the 2 core to the battery then join the leads by soldering the coppers together and putting some heat shrink over the top of eeach lead, and it your want put an extra piece over both leads.
Might not even cost £10 to repair it ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Are the reasons the quality of the build (of an old model) and/or the quality of the service.

I am aware of a friend having a cable issue with an older Motocaddy because he commented that my much newer model had a very different mount and connection for the battery and so, it would seem, completely mitigating the problem that you experienced.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why not get some black 2 core, pop the battery cover off, connect the 2 core to the battery then join the leads by soldering the coppers together and putting some heat shrink over the top of eeach lead, and it your want put an extra piece over both leads.

Because we are in a society of replace not repair 😉

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I emailed the guy who quoted me £50 asking what he's doing that justifies a £40 labour charge - I have had no reply (no surprise there) I have since had a VERY reasonable price of £20 from Ian Kirk Golf Sheffield (well done Ian) That's great except other than Sheffield is 100 miles away but for that price I might pay a courier.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I emailed the guy who quoted me £50 asking what he's doing that justifies a £40 labour charge - I have had no reply (no surprise there) I have since had a VERY reasonable price of £20 from Ian Kirk Golf Sheffield (well done Ian) That's great except other than Sheffield is 100 miles away but for that price I might pay a courier.
If you use a courier and it is the battery you are shipping do not describe it a battery describe as something like 'Motor Caddy part' or 'electrical accumulator' (that one came from a battery distributor).

Many shippers will not carry batteries.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any half decent electrical shop could fix that.
have a look online.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you use a courier and it is the battery you are shipping do not describe it a battery describe as something like 'Motor Caddy part' or 'electrical accumulator' (that one came from a battery distributor).

Many shippers will not carry batteries.
This.

i had to ship my whole trolley and battery back to Motocaddy as couriers would not allow a battery on its own to be transported.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And neither would I reply to it. Its a Sunday, you're overlooking that of that £50 total charge, £10 is VAT, and why shouldn't he charge for his time?

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
£40 for an hour, as that’s likely how he will bill it is not expensive at all when paying someone for their skill, experience, overheads..

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I'm with you, looks like an easy fix.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
(Wife's trolley - I told her to stick with Powakaddy) !

It's an S18, it's a few years old, probably out of warranty. The cable going into the battery has split (see pic). I called Motocaddy . . . . stamped on the battery is a sticker saying 5 year guarantee, "ah, yes, that's a 5 year guarantee on the battery, the cable is only guaranteed for 2 years" was the reply! "OK, I can see that the bottom of the battery screws off - how much is the part" I asked. "The part cast £10 buy we will not sell it to you only to one of our authorised service agents" they replied. They gave me two email address for the nearest agents (20 miles) - I email them and I just got a reply back with a quote for £50. That's £40 for 10 minutes work and he can charge that because he knows that I can't buy the part and gfit it myself. - Disgraceful.
Thanks for the heads up. After reading this, I checked the battery of my 2 year old M1 trolley and noticed the outer covering where the wire goes into the battery, has split, despite me being very careful when I put it in the trolley. Managed to tape it up and will keep an eye on it but should be ok in the long run.

Tbh it's a poor design by Motocaddy, as the constant flexing of the wire will eventually cause it to deteriorate. For some reason, the S1 (the cheapest Motocaddy electric trolley) has a cable free battery and quick access charging port, but none of the more expensive models do!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. After reading this, I checked the battery of my 2 year old M1 trolley and noticed the outer covering where the wire goes into the battery, has split, despite me being very careful when I put it in the trolley. Managed to tape it up and will keep an eye on it but should be ok in the long run.

Tbh it's a poor design by Motocaddy, as the constant flexing of the wire will eventually cause it to deteriorate. For some reason, the S1 (the cheapest Motocaddy electric trolley) has a cable free battery and quick access charging port, but none of the more expensive models do!
This is the one I bought about a year ago. Does a grand job for me and, yes, the Mount and charging are very easy.

D

Deleted member 25172

My battery cable is going in the same direction, but there seem to be another layer of protection before the wires are completely exposed. Won the trolley about 4 years ago or so and was stupid enough to not fill and send in the warranty card and obviously don't have a receipt for it. Not that keen on having to buy a new battery for £250 or so once the cable actually pops.

sjw

Visit site
My battery cable is going in the same direction, but there seem to be another layer of protection before the wires are completely exposed. Won the trolley about 4 years ago or so and was stupid enough to not fill and send in the warranty card and obviously don't have a receipt for it. Not that keen on having to buy a new battery for £250 or so once the cable actually pops.
If there's no copper exposed, smack a load of electrical tape around it before there is