Reasons for hitting a hook

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not played for a while due to weather and holidays and have a started to hit a hook with most clubs. Very odd for me as usually my flight is more of a fade so I'm a bit confused. I know it's a bit vague and don't have a video but just wondering what to look for so I can see if I can sort it myself! My pro has been away so couldn't get to see him this week but got a big away day on Monday so want to get down the range and practice ground tomorrow to try and work it out. My game was coming on nicely before the enforced lay off so A bit disappointed it ruined a half decent round today and Wednesday.

Thanks in advance.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
to avoid confusion, and limit the ball flight law posts.............

when you say 'hook' - does it

start right of target and end left?
start on target and end left
start left of target and head even further left!

all on the assumption that you believe that you are aligning your feet, hips, shoulders and clubface 'straight'

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your swingpath will be right of your clubface direction at impact (assuming you are right handed). Have you changed your grip?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not played for a while due to weather and holidays and have a started to hit a hook with most clubs. Very odd for me as usually my flight is more of a fade so I'm a bit confused. I know it's a bit vague and don't have a video but just wondering what to look for so I can see if I can sort it myself! My pro has been away so couldn't get to see him this week but got a big away day on Monday so want to get down the range and practice ground tomorrow to try and work it out. My game was coming on nicely before the enforced lay off so A bit disappointed it ruined a half decent round today and Wednesday.

Thanks in advance.

Bobmac has more experience of off-the-cuff diagnosis, but I certainly had similar problems when I returned after an enforced layoff after a broken ankle. Not being able to trust the leg, I wouldn't turn (my hips) properly on the down-swing, so my normal out-to-in swing with a slightly open face turned into an o-2-i with a closed one!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry meant to edit after, ball starts straight or just left and then went far left. Happened with most clubs irons and hybrid mostly and a few with the driver. I've not changed my grip (not that I know of intentionally anyway!). Will check alignment again tomorrow to check. As I said gutted as was striking the ball alot better before the short break!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry meant to edit after, ball starts straight or just left and then went far left. Happened with most clubs irons and hybrid mostly and a few with the driver. I've not changed my grip (not that I know of intentionally anyway!). Will check alignment again tomorrow to check. As I said gutted as was striking the ball alot better before the short break!

take heart - it's almost certainly something quite simple and easily resolved.

my bet would be that you have changed one of your various alignment elements - but just get it checked out.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Assuming your alignment is OK, it sounds to me like you are comming over the top (which I assume you did previously). However, previously, as said above, the club face was open to the line (but still facing left of the target) which resulted in your fade. Now the club is closed to the line which results in your hook or pull hook.

Previously, IMO, two wrongs made a right in that you attempted to correct the over the top movement by not 'releasing' your hands (if you did you would snap hook it), resulting in the open clubface to the line of the club path. You were 'saving' the shot from going way left, probably sub conciously.

Instead of working out why you are hooking, why not do Bobs head cover drill to ensure an inside club path to the ball? Just search for 'headcover' on here - its been done to death on previous threads!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you were out to in with a closed clubface I'd expect to see the ball low and left with deep divots.
Therefor I would suspect the weight on the back foot and arms swinging round yourself.
Make sure you get you weight moving forward on your downswing.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks bob I'll check it out at the range this afternoon. Sounds like I've got a little lazy in the swing. I was definatley shifting weight before but think youre right, think I've merged my old armsy swing with my current swing!

I'll let you know how I get on later, many thanks!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't get time for the range this afternoon but did try some things in the garden. Think you're right bob, in my quest to keep my posture and stop my head coming up I'd stop moving my weight over and become a bit armsy. As soon as i concentrated a bit harder it felt better but hard to tell with no ball flight! Hopefully will see better results in the big day tomorrow, if not its going to be along 36 holes!

Thanks again bob I'll let you know tomorrow evening if it worked out!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well it started out well!! You were right I think bob! Concentrated on posture and weight transfer and the first round went quite well only scored 25 points as had a bit of a collapse on the back nine with 4 consecutive blobs! Tried chasing a score more and more which just made it worse and worse! Had 17 at the turn so happy with that. The second round was a complete disaster and struggled to hit anything and saw me finish tenth in a field of 16, my best finish as I've been last for the last 3 years!!

Need to go and work at it again now as I completely lost the swing on the way round and my driving which has been a string point for the last year was none existant!!

Thanks bob for saving my skin the advice really worked, just need to make it more repeatable now.