Really struggling on the range (Especially with the unmentionables)

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone else really struggle on the driving range? I have been practicing at the range and also getting a block of lessons and they are driving range based too and I am really struggling...

More so with chipping and pitching than anything else and the J Arthurs..... however it really does seem to be limited to driving ranges- both indoor and outdoor... go back to an open area of grass like our practice area or even the back garden and I don't get them- I'm beginning to think it's all in my head with these types of driving ranges- think about angle in back swing and rotation.

It has happened on full swings too. It's frustrating too as I was wanting to concentrate over the winter on chipping and pitching and there's not enough light at night to practice anywhere other than a driving range. Once they start I can't seem to stop them so I prefer to just practice something else so i'm not ingraining anything. hitting 30 shanks in a row aint fun!!!!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I noticed that I find it very hard to target something that is not absolutely in line with the mat. That is true for the driving range as well as for most of our winter tees. When the mat points into a certain direction, but I want to go either left or right of that, no matter how much care I take to align myself propely, lets say by picking a point in front of the map to aim over, I am always fooled. On the driving range I normally pop an alignment stick down (which instantly cures it), but of course I can't do that on our winter tees (and I would like to shoot the idiot who put those mats out there, because I swear, a few of them point way to the right ... whoever placed them was suffering from enormous hooks, if that is how he aims).

Another thing I find is that I am very reluctant to hit steeply into the ball and take ground. Pure self preservation, that, our mats are awfully hard. But that makes pitches and shorter iron shots a bit tricky.

So those are the two things I would look out for: make sure you are aligned correctly and maybe use an alignment stick or golf club on the ground to help you with that and (if at all possible) hit shorter shots off grass instead of the mat.

Also: don't try to impress the hot girl in the next bay, because a) it will totally distract you and b) it could be me and I totally wouldn't notice anyway :D (just kidding ... I'm not that hot, but seriously, you could hit an arrow straigth 400 yard three wood down the range or consistently hit the 100 yard marker with your pitching wedge, I would not notice when I'm working on something myself, and I guess that is true for most people there as well, so don't feel foolish when you hit a bad shot, because that might just lead to nervousness and more bad shots ...)

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Does anyone else really struggle on the driving range? I have been practicing at the range and also getting a block of lessons and they are driving range based too and I am really struggling...

More so with chipping and pitching than anything else and the J Arthurs..... however it really does seem to be limited to driving ranges- both indoor and outdoor... go back to an open area of grass like our practice area or even the back garden and I don't get them- I'm beginning to think it's all in my head with these types of driving ranges- think about angle in back swing and rotation.

It has happened on full swings too. It's frustrating too as I was wanting to concentrate over the winter on chipping and pitching and there's not enough light at night to practice anywhere other than a driving range. Once they start I can't seem to stop them so I prefer to just practice something else so i'm not ingraining anything. hitting 30 shanks in a row aint fun!!!!

I am exactly the same and I’m afraid can’t offer any advice.
I’ve stopped going and only play on course.
I am desperate to improve as well so I don’t know what to do really but I certainly won’t be going to the range this winter as it’s destroyed my last 3 winters in a row and the start of the following season.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do they have crappy range balls? I am no expert on ball composition, but I am certain the ones at the range I go to (think they are Srixon range balls) cause a massive slice. My driver slices wildly, probably 90% of the time. When out on the course or the practice ground at the course my driver is nice and straight 90% of the time with the occasional fade but hardly every a slice in the last few months. Even with irons they go massively to the right! Like some other people have said I don't bother going to the range now and just try and get to the practice ground once a week, found a guy who sells 250 balls for £13 so works out cheaper too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do they have crappy range balls? I am no expert on ball composition, but I am certain the ones at the range I go to (think they are Srixon range balls) cause a massive slice. My driver slices wildly, probably 90% of the time. When out on the course or the practice ground at the course my driver is nice and straight 90% of the time with the occasional fade but hardly every a slice in the last few months. Even with irons they go massively to the right! Like some other people have said I don't bother going to the range now and just try and get to the practice ground once a week, found a guy who sells 250 balls for £13 so works out cheaper too.

Pretty sure the range balls won't cause the slice unless they were totally devoid of dimples. It's your swing.

As for the OP and the unmentionables there are many reasons for these and I'd either look for online videos (think Bob had one he posted a while back) or ask a pro. Make the range practice more course orientated and aim at different targets, with different clubs and replicate playing on the course rather than hit ball after ball with too many technical thoughts

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks homer but was happening with the pro there, he would put alignment stick across my chest and they'd disappear as soon as he'd take away they'd be back. But like I said they don't happen on the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks homer but was happening with the pro there, he would put alignment stick across my chest and they'd disappear as soon as he'd take away they'd be back. But like I said they don't happen on the course.

What does he say is causing it? There has to be of replicating the feeling of the stick being there. It'll come. Keep positive and work through it