Realistically... will amateur big participation events/opens be able to take place this year?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t think any other than elite events should take place. Let’s just be happy we can go out and play golf rather than worry about large competitions where the risk is great. Just no need for it.

D

Deleted member 18588

Absolutely, it is all about playing the different courses for me too ??‍♂️ Being able to get a nice cold soft drink and something to eat after the round is a bonus.. but I can easily live without that.
But the host club probably can't.

Either that or entry fees will have to increase greatly.

Diamond

Visit site
Its All down to whether we can play 3 ball or 4 balls this year. If we can then you can run any comp as long as everyone adheres to the rules.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My biggest trip is to Harris in August. It was cancelled last year when the accommodation closed and ferries were just for local people. My booking was automatically transferred to this year so we have booked up around that. If it is cancelled, I will just transfer everything to 2022 but if I don't book anything, I certainly won't get in booking late.

Boomy

Visit site
But the host club probably can't.

Either that or entry fees will have to increase greatly.

I think the majority of golf clubs/courses are ran separately from the catering/bar side.. So comps likely could go ahead but obviously those running the bar/catering side would suffer/lose out greatly. Unless they could/can cater with outside settings or takeaway, which all hinges on the rules at that time.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the majority of golf clubs/courses are ran separately from the catering/bar side.. So comps likely could go ahead but obviously those running the bar/catering side would suffer/lose out greatly. Unless they could/can cater with outside settings or takeaway, which all hinges on the rules at that time.
I'd say for the vast majority of Members clubs the income from bar and catering is intergral to their running.
Agree with you tho that we go to play th e courses first and foremost

D

Deleted member 18588

You really couldn't be more wrong.

F&B represents a major part of the income of every golf club and the subsidised green fees for visitors included in the entry fees for Opens are offset by the bar and catering sales to those visitors.

Boomy

Visit site
You really couldn't be more wrong.

F&B represents a major part of the income of every golf club and the subsidised green fees for visitors included in the entry fees for Opens are offset by the bar and catering sales to those visitors.

Not at every club - in fact, far far from every club. Whilst it’s true that a lot will/would be massively affected a lot could still profit from opens without the hospitality side of it.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Shirley the biggest problem will be the likelihood of clubs not allowing visitors post LD3. I don't know if any were, but I do know that a quick perusal of Golfnow prior to LD3 indicated that many clubs were simply saying no, and those few that were allowing visitors only had mid-afternoon times, useless for 18 holes on a packed course
And courses will be packed once they reopen.
And no beer.

Boomy

Visit site
Shirley the biggest problem will be the likelihood of clubs not allowing visitors post LD3. I don't know if any were, but I do know that a quick perusal of Golfnow prior to LD3 indicated that many clubs were simply saying no, and those few that were allowing visitors only had mid-afternoon times, useless for 18 holes on a packed course
And courses will be packed once they reopen.
And no beer.

Exactly! That’s part of the reason why I wondered if realistically opens would/could go ahead.

Boomy

Visit site
Your statement said that "the majority of golf clubs/courses are run separately from the catering/bar side" .

Clubs have multiple revenue streams, F&B is a large one.

Yes and in my experience the majority are, certainly the ones we supply fresh food products to are.

Hospitality is a revenue stream, but some clubs don’t even have food on offer - so like I’ve said it’s not critical to every club.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t really see any reason why not. There will be a need for adaptions to be made, not historically a strong point of many golf clubs or the sport in general, but there’s no real excuse given this blasted virus has been around more or less a year now.

Golf is inherently able to adapt to social distancing, it would be a crying shame for all golfers if golf clubs weren’t able to.

D-S

Visit site
I played in many Opens last year and golf didn’t reopen after LD1 until May 16th (and then only in 2 balls etc for a few weeks). Even if this Lockdown lasts unti May 16th this year (and that would be 12 weeks longer than LD1) I see no reason why there would be less opportunity this year.