Realistically... will amateur big participation events/opens be able to take place this year?

Boomy

Visit site
With the virus now affecting younger and younger people, and the vaccination program taking pretty much the full year to roll out will it be possible to have large participation events/opens this summer? There’s no doubt that golf courses can be open and played as safely as possible with social distancing but what about clubhouses... or could registration and the likes be set up outdoors in gazebos? Obviously safety, people’s health, wellbeing and livelihoods are much more important than a missed golf competition but I’m just putting it out there for discussion.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think during the round there's no issues with social distancing and it would be COVID secure. It's the lot that turn up and hang around the pro shop, practice area and tee off then afterwards when they sit outside in the car park huddled around a boot drinking a tinny. That's what'll set us back.

Boomy

Visit site
Think during the round there's no issues with social distancing and it would be COVID secure. It's the lot that turn up and hang around the pro shop, practice area and tee off then afterwards when they sit outside in the car park huddled around a boot drinking a tinny. That's what'll set us back.

Yeah I agree, I think everyone needs to play their part and if that involves some sacrifice on the social side of things then so be it. Which pretty much sums up everything at the moment.

I wonder if entry numbers will be vastly reduced to prevent the congregation risk pre/post round.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve played in 3 different opens for 6/7 years and always look forward to meeting some of the same players every year.

If we can’t socialize before and after a round it not what it’s about for me probably wouldn’t bother.

Can’t see many opens going ahead until summer at the earliest.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I doubt I'll be making any bookings for this year until things become better - perhaps a couple of local senior events after I get my vaccine. The social side of it is a big thing for me, and I wasn't too impressed with the way many people ignored the rules last summer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i'd imagine so, was playing Alyth in Sept and they were holding a British Universities comp the morning before we wer due to play. they had a tent check in and scorers desk and a SD was in place. They had the Am championship last year no problems, that in June so can't see them canc it in 2021 either

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It wasn’t safety that cancelled last year’s events, it was that courses were shut, no catering facilities to generate some revenue on the day or demand for tee-times from members to give up another day’s golf for no real reason or just the club couldn’t be bothered!

D

Deleted member 21445

Golf is one of the few sports that can be played safely and socially distanced.

As long as the courses are open I think they will be played but under certain guidelines probably depending on what tier that area is in.

I liaise with the events industry for cycle shows for our brands, they are forecasting indoor mass gathering shows to go ahead in July/August 2021

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I’ve played in 3 different opens for 6/7 years and always look forward to meeting some of the same players every year.

If we can’t socialize before and after a round it not what it’s about for me probably wouldn’t bother.

Can’t see many opens going ahead until summer at the earliest.
Same here. I will be able to play golf on my own course. If I can't have a beer after the round I'm not travelling anywhere.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah I agree, I think everyone needs to play their part and if that involves some sacrifice on the social side of things then so be it. Which pretty much sums up everything at the moment.

I wonder if entry numbers will be vastly reduced to prevent the congregation risk pre/post round.
Makes you wonder about the thinking, (or lack of) behind some clubs that are running advertised Open events with “shotgun” starts ?!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Makes you wonder about the thinking, (or lack of) behind some clubs that are running advertised Open events with “shotgun” starts ?!

Maybe advertised, but probably many will need reorganising. Winter Opens at Porthcawl are always Shotgun Starts, but these were immediately abandoned last year. Next one is 23rd Feb. that isn't Shotgun, but no idea if it'll happen!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Maybe advertised, but probably many will need reorganising.
That would be good, I avoid shotgun start events due to the crowded changing rooms and the queues at the bar.
If they can be reorganised I might get to play The Addington and Mitcham.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
As an example, last February, (as restrictions were appearing if not full measures yet) Porthcawl kept the "shotgun" start, but dispenses with the sit-down meal and presentation. They handed out packed-lunches from the Half-Way House and refunded some of the cost.

Clubs need to reaction to the situation and be seen to adhere to prevailing guidelines.

Mind you right now, the "No golf in England and Wales" is quite clear!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a good few Opens last year and I expect that by the time they start up again in any numbers, May up here, I will be doing so again. For some the restrictions last year were just separate tables, one had no clubhouse open. All manageable though within the rules at the time. If the vaccinations go as planned and relaxations happen as we expect I don't see why they will not proceed the same. Shotgun starts are a no no but for regular starts people are spread out quite nicely and so clubhouses can generally accomodate the numbers safely.

Boomy

Visit site
I managed a lot of opens last year, for me it is about playing different courses, not about wether or not the club house is open, yes a drink after is nice but its not the reason I play in opens.

Absolutely, it is all about playing the different courses for me too ??‍♂️ Being able to get a nice cold soft drink and something to eat after the round is a bonus.. but I can easily live without that.