Realistic expectations

bwstokie

Visit site
Hi all

The wife thinks I’m having a mid-life crisis but I’m not. I’ve worked hard in my chosen profession for the last 25 years since leaving school, have invested wisely so now at the age of 41 I want to do something completely different.

I’ve played golf in a number of spells during my life to date but the longest stint has been the current one which is 3 years and counting. I feel like my game, specially in the last 12 months, has come on leaps and bounds (a few issues along the way but never terminal and I’ve self sorted without the need of a pro). I have never really integrated at my current club, using it more as a practice base during the week, playing socially/competitively with friends ‘away’ at weekends and networking during. I’ve never gone cards in to gain a handicap as I’ve not really needed one but regularly shoot low to mid-80’s on my current member course and regularly get labelled a bandit by friends when playing socially off an un-official 14. Where is this leading you might ask?
Well I’m moving courses from the 1st of April with the sole task of getting an official HI and playing as much competitive golf as possible. The goal I would like to achieve is a HI of 6 ASAP so I can enrol and do my PGA. I’m at the stage in life where I want to do things that make me happy and are enjoyable and the game of golf does exactly that!

I can play and practice at least 4 or 5 times a week so what’s the general consensus? Am I dreaming, am I too old or should I just give it my all and see what happens. Earning potential etc really isn’t a factor. I just need a complete change of direction!

Cheers in advance!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Follow your dreams..
The worst that can happen is you don't make it and you have to get another job.
It'll be hard but so is everything worthwhile.
Good luck..

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Id probably get your first handicap, bed in at the new club for a year, practise a tonne and see if you get low enough.

As Bob mentioned above, I believe its HI 4 and below to start the process to become a pro.

Alternatively - Greenkeeping is another career you could look into. There are places not far from me that I've seen offer Greenkeeping Apprenticeships etc - you'd be working in golf but just not in the playing side of things?

Best of luck to you

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
You say earning potential isnt really a factor, so I'll assume you could effectively retire now....is that correct?

If that is the case, then do what you want...whether you get there or not is a different matter. If I had enough money that I didnt have to work, then I would certainly be doing something I enjoy doing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is worth remembering with the current handicap system it is not until you have put in at least 17 cards will your handicap reflect your true ability.

it works like this when you first start putting cards

1620552240016.jpg
I do not know the full requirements of the PGA but it would surprise me if they accepted someone without a full playing handicap record of 20 scores.

From personal experience I found getting down to 6 (when I had the time to concentrate on it after about 15 years of playing) relatively easy but getting below it was a big step.

bwstokie

Visit site
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

HI is now 6.4 for men, relatively new change. Does feel like that is achievable in 12-18 months from my current level?

Think the part that interests me the most would be coaching children/getting people into the game.

Couldn’t not do something to keep the mind engaged but fortunate enough to have a wife who has a great job as well and no mortgage debt.

Think I’d regret not having a go!

bwstokie

Visit site
“Be working at a golf facility under the supervision of a PGA Training Professional.”

per the entry requirements - if it’s 30 hours then that could be that? Short lived dream ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
“Be working at a golf facility under the supervision of a PGA Training Professional.”

per the entry requirements - if it’s 30 hours then that could be that? Short lived dream ?

When I was training in 2004 it was 30 hours per week.
So basically you're the assistants assistant tea boy on minimum wage and you couldn't teach until your 2nd year.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are now an idle middle aged bloke with no need to work, would it not be better to be a gentleman amateur and travel a bit to play golf in nice places? Do a bit of consulting or Board work to keep an interest in your career area, but otherwise play some golf, not sell Mars bars (not that there is anything wrong with Mars bars).

I don't see why learning how to run a golf shoe storage room or prepare electric trollies for ungrateful members would be a great way of spending your time.

bwstokie

Visit site
If you are now an idle middle aged bloke with no need to work, would it not be better to be a gentleman amateur and travel a bit to play golf in nice places? Do a bit of consulting or Board work to keep an interest in your career area, but otherwise play some golf, not sell Mars bars (not that there is anything wrong with Mars bars).

I don't see why learning how to run a golf shoe storage room or prepare electric trollies for ungrateful members would be a great way of spending your time.
Jesus, wow - how incredibly rude and judgemental!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

Yeah Ethan can be a bit straightforward at times. Don’t let it worry you
As per the thread title, I think he is trying to be realistic about your expectations.
Have you looked into what would be expected of you, have you spoken to anyone who is doing what you want to do?

Fore armed is fore warned ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

What? You are a 41 year old man with a handicap of 6 who wants to turn pro. Trust me, everyone who has read this thread has reached a judgement.

Mine is that trying to be an assistant pro at your age and handicap is a fantasy, and if you have the means and like golf, you should play golf. Ask any assistant pro how much golf they actually play, and what a pain the bloody members can be. That might be fine for a 18 or 19 year old, but it will get old fast. As you will.

Still, good luck and if you turn out to be the next Butch Harmon or run a successful pro shop at a club somewhere, I will happily eat my words.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You know what? I think you have a reasonable plan.

1) Get down to 5 or less: If you are not working, you have time to work on that. Structure it as you have done a work project. You'll either smash it or not!! Either way, you can still have lots of fun playing off 7! :)

2) Enrol in PGA: Well that is dependent on the above. Cross that Bridge when you come to it! But in the interim, can go get a local Pro to let you "shadow them?" (Offer help for free, explain why, most folk are helpful.) Depending on where you live, you could get a summer job on a resort's golf team and see what goes on there. Eg Celtic Manor are currently recruiting for summer team members. Pay is negligible, but you'll see how a golf operation works!

3) Regardless.... stop work, play golf! (Most peoples' ideal) I retired early back end of 2021.. I've entered a stack of Opens, and already this year have returned to some great venues I haven't been to in 20 years. This activity will also help with step 1 above! :)

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ask Club Pros how much golf they play and the answer might upset you!
But you do get to listen to shot by shot recounts of Bert's 103 in the medal that morning!

That's saved me the trouble of writing it.
I would imagine the annual PGA subs have gone up since I left so while a PGA pro gets free golf at most courses, it will cost you £450-£500 to get the free golf and it also has to be booked in advance.

I was 44 when I turned pro and I wasn't the oldest so it can be done but it soon becomes a job.

I haven't hit a ball in years

D

Deleted member 21258

OP, seriously I would suggest contacting the PGA, they are very very helpful and more than one way to qualify as a PGA. Answered loads of questions for us, which may mean none of the PGA training options work for you. Some pga pros play lots, even whilst working.

Getting a handicap low enough/long enough should be fairly easy. Their is the option of a University course for example. Phone up the PGA and ask them, they were great and really helpful.

Life is to short to listen to people off a golf forum with loads of priors or applying their life to yours.

My view is life is for living, so go for it. Why not (if you feel the need to answer that, you have missed the point I am making).

Edit Best of luck

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
That's saved me the trouble of writing it.
I would imagine the annual PGA subs have gone up since I left so while a PGA pro gets free golf at most courses, it will cost you £450-£500 to get the free golf and it also has to be booked in advance.

I was 44 when I turned pro and I wasn't the oldest so it can be done but it soon becomes a job.

I haven't hit a ball in years

Thanks Bob... my mate, gave up the club job several years ago. Still does lots of coaching and far more playing. I assume (he's too polite to say) that not attending Club Committee Meetings must be a real loss too! :)

bwstokie

Visit site
Thanks to all those who have made impartial, insightful and helpful comments!

To the other fella…..it’s the ‘idle’ comment that got me, just laughable! I’ve still got lots to give and whilst I could travel and play golf that won’t keep my brain engaged where as another 3 year degree course certainly will. If not golf related it’ll be something else, just at a crossroads.