Reading a putt with toric contacts

RogB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Does anybody use toric contact lenses when playing golf? I've recently picked up some everyday disposables for playing sport, ditching the glasses in the rain is great and i can now spot my ball from miles away. But having an astigmatism in both eyes I have toric lenses which are weighted slightly to rotate. I'm finding it difficult to read putts with them as when I look down on the ball and sideways the greens appear to slope:eek: Is this just me with a new excuse for lousy putting or a recognised problem? Do you get used to it?

Unfortunately for the first time my normal glasses are varifocals so unless looking straight ahead straight lines appear bent and i haven't got a single vision set in my normal prescription. I was hoping the contacts would be the solution but after a couple of rounds with over 40 putts or so I'm struggling somewhat (I'm just a novice but 32-36 putts is more usual for me).

Cheers
RogB

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it might just be a case of getting used to the change.
I wear daily disposables for an astigmatism and don't find any problems reading the greens although hitting where I want is a separate issue!
Are your dailies an exact prescription or best fit as some cannot be made in some prescription I believe.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wear toric lenses and can't say they make any difference at all to reading putts. I read and misread my fair share of putts.

If I read your post correctly it seems you are describing the effect of standing over the ball addressing it and then turning your head to look along the line and reading the put that way. If that is the case that could be the problem. I would not recommend that as a technique for reading putts as your eyes won't be level.

You need to be directly behind the ball with your eyes level to really see any slopes. I do usually find that having picked a line that way, if I change my mind when standing over the ball I will miss. Whether that is due to or accentuated by my lenses or not I have no idea. But I don't think, with or without lenses, you can see the slope correctly if your eyes aren't level.

Apologies if I have misunderstood.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Some years ago I had real problems with my eyesight on the greens. I tried various things including toric lenses and nothing worked. I then had my sight corrected by laser with an assurance that it would also sort the astigmatism at the same time - and it worked perfectly. Some 8 years later my long vision is still perfect and I just need reading glasses, which, to be fair I was told that I would at the time of the treatment.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does anybody use toric contact lenses when playing golf? I've recently picked up some everyday disposables for playing sport, ditching the glasses in the rain is great and i can now spot my ball from miles away. But having an astigmatism in both eyes I have toric lenses which are weighted slightly to rotate. I'm finding it difficult to read putts with them as when I look down on the ball and sideways the greens appear to slope:eek: Is this just me with a new excuse for lousy putting or a recognised problem? Do you get used to it?

Unfortunately for the first time my normal glasses are varifocals so unless looking straight ahead straight lines appear bent and i haven't got a single vision set in my normal prescription. I was hoping the contacts would be the solution but after a couple of rounds with over 40 putts or so I'm struggling somewhat (I'm just a novice but 32-36 putts is more usual for me).

Cheers
RogB

I have had the same problem as you a few times.
My problem was when i looked at the grass it looked funny and i couldnt focus.
Also when stood over the ball too putt,the break or slope of the green looked twice as much
as it did from the front.
So this is what i did.
I rang the misses and she brought a new pair down to the course,because unless its happened to
you,you wouldnt understand.
It is impossible to read a putt properly.
As soon as a new set of lenses was in,it had gone.
I wear monthlys and generally keep them in longer than i should,and i think that was the problem.
I did try dailys and couldnt get on with them.
My suggestion would be get fitted for monthlys,and change them on time.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are your dailies an exact prescription or best fit as some cannot be made in some prescription I believe.

Definately worth checking this. My optician explained this to me when I was thinking about going to dailies. I wear fortnightly disposables and they can do a good match in those. He explained that dailies are thinner so they have less scope to make them sit properly.

RogB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts and experience on this. MashieNiblick - I think you are correct in assuming I have a naff approach to choosing a line to putt, I do usually look from side and behind to gauge the line and then glance up at address to align the putter with my picked spot. With the new contacts i feel the ground slopes more away from me and I start doubting my first level headed assessment. With my previous contacts the astigmatism in only one eye could be corrected for and the other was a compromise. The new ones are actually exact as technology has moved on and are truly sharp for head up distance work - but my prescription isnt really that strong. It might be that I just have to get used to them better.
The laser treatment might be worth a look in future although the optician said prescriptions change quick in your mid 40's (thats me) and then settle for a decade and then change again later so perhaps not just now. I also know one chap where its didnt work properly - but that was quite some time ago and others have had success.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got very short sight and astigmatism at strengths to make your hair curl (there was a thread on here some while back about who had worst eyes and I won hands down). I use daily disposable torics and never had a problem reading greens - or at least not any caused by the lenses.