Reader question opportunity - tallest man on tour, Chris Wood...

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Morning all,

Off on my annual trip to Abu Dhabi this coming weekend and we're gradually getting a schedule of interviewees lined up. First up, a reader questions piece with 6ft 5in Chris Wood, so please feel free to fire away about anything and everything from his tour career, his stellar early Open performances, his maiden win... and if you're really quick and first in, the age-old classic about whether or not his height is a help or a hindrance...!

Many thanks for your help

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
From a fellow "taller person" (6ft 3"), do you also feel like a phased cull of shorter people would benefit the gene pool?

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Being so tall do you have longer shafts on your clubs than average?

Being 5'8" I often wonder how folks 6"+ taller than me cope with a standard club off the shelf as it must alter the dynamic of the stance and swing or maybe it's the opposite alteration I make for being a shorty.

Very good Bluewolf, the way the population is getting taller it will probably roll along like the increasing retirement age and the cull will get to you eventually :D

Last edited:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Why do you stick with Mizuno clubs and would you ever be tempted to change? if so to what/whom?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd like to hear his opinion on the Simon Dyson spike-mark episode and subsequent Tour hearing penalties

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If Chris didn't have the knee injury that ended his hopes of playing football, what level does he think he would have made it to? Where would he be playing his football today?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
More and more European Tour players seem to be migrating over to the US to spend more time playing the PGA tour. How do you feel about this and is it something you see yourself doing?

Andy Wright
Cheshire

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
So you were stood on that fairway in Qatar needing the eagle to win. Watching it I was really impressed with how calm you looked and how you executed the shot. How did you stay calm and hit the shot?

Cameron Roy
Gosberton

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
You don't do too badly around links courses and you have a very good Open Championship record. Do you prepare differently for links events? What shots, if any, do you groove? Is being tall a hinderance in the wind?

Cameron Roy
Gosberton

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm 6 ft 5 too and hate flights more than an hour long because of the discomfort. How doe he get deal with the travelling involved in being a tour pro?

Does he struggle with his swing getting too steep like me? If so, how does he ensure he does not get too steep?

Mark Johnson
Stourbridge

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How do you prioritise which events your playing in this year? Do you try to gear up for Majors? Is it more towards the Ryder Cup places? Or simply as many events as possible?

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you had the choice of a Tap in to win the Ryder Cup in the final pairing on Sunday or have a 1 shot lead with 4 holes to play at the open which one would you choose?

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Thanks for all your questions - good stuff!
One quick thing - I foolishly forgot to mention in the original post that we will need your real name and home town to sit beside your question in the feature, so if anyone who hasn't given those details so far could do so, that would be really appreciated.
Thanks