re-proofing the raingear

Billser

Club Champion
Visit site
alright lads,

anybody re-proofed their rain gear?

if so what did you use?

I have sunderland gear,about two years old & it does leak a bit with the irish rain, looking to try some spray on stuff but not sure which works & which is a waste of time, any help appreciated,

cheers

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depends where its coming in Billser.
If its the seams i think your gonna be fighting a loosing battle and anything you do will probably be only a short term fix.
Id save the shillings if i were you and buy something new and worth the money... There have been plenty of posts on wet gear on the forum if you do a search im sure you'll find something that corresponds with what your after....

Also i dont know if you do this but the cardinal sin of keeping wet gear clean is to put it in the washing machine....Thats going to completely ruin it altogether...Always leave it air dry and clean down with a damp warm cloth when its dry...

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have some rain proofing silicone spray. It works a treat.
I think it's Granger's Fabsil (or similar). Used for tents and stuff, but I spray it liberally on my bag/top/hats.....never spoiled anything yet. :D

B

birdieman

From experience I would advise you need to bite the bullet and buy new gear. Once you start down the re-proofing road I reckon the garment has had it.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also i dont know if you do this but the cardinal sin of keeping wet gear clean is to put it in the washing machine....Thats going to completely ruin it altogether...Always leave it air dry and clean down with a damp warm cloth when its dry...

That depends on what type of gear you've got.

Best advice is read the labels!

Back to the topic, I believe Revivex is supposed to be pretty good for retreating waterproofs. But as others have said once they start to leak they are on their way out really.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
From experience I would advise you need to bite the bullet and buy new gear. Once you start down the re-proofing road I reckon the garment has had it.

Possibly. I've never binned a rain top because by the time it's knackered, I'll have lost it or got bored of it anyway.
I sprayed my Greg Norman top just to enjoy seeing the rain slip off a la wax on a polished car.