M1/M2 fitting at Wentworth

Durango

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jut want to say a big thanks to Golf Monthly, Taylormade and Wentworth GC for a great day on Thursday. When I entered a few days prior I thought I'd have no chance, especially with me living 'oop North.' So I was pretty stunned to say the least when I saw the email from Joel saying I was in, good job I check my junk mail!

I traveled down on the Wednesday evening and took the missus for my sins and stopped in a devere hotel about ten minutes away. Didn't fancy setting off at 5am on the Thursday morning. Some of the properties around that area are incredible, not quite as incredible as the ones I saw near the golf club though. Wow!

Arrived at the Club slightly early (parked up in the members only area) but soon saw Jezz and a couple of the Taylormade lads. Must say I was pretty nervous so pleased I was given a couple of tokens for the driving range next door to the fitting bay to try and warm up a bit. A fella called Luke did the fitting,really nice guy and obviously knows his stuff! It's a really impressive place and they had all the driver combinations I suppose anybody would need.

As to the fitting, I started off hitting my titleist and was hitting that nicely. It's always interesting to look at the figures on the trackman and I was swinging at about 100mph, spin was slightly high though which seemed to rob me of some yardage. I tried the M1 first with the same rogue silver shaft as the titleist and the spin immediately dropped which saw some good distance gains. I wasn't getting as good a dispersion as I wanted though with a few too many shots leaking off right. I tried the M2 for a few shots and couldn't really feel much difference to the M1. I ended up getting fit for the M1 though with the Kuro Kage stiff shaft. The ability to just get it dialled in with the moving weights swung it for me and I felt I could just get it turning over right to left a bit easier. Plus it costs more! :p

Lovely to meet Jezz and the other two lads. It really is a great place to get fitted if you're after some TM gear, I can't recommend it highly enough. The only downer for me was being videoed at the end of the fitting and my brain turning to mush looking like a nervous wreck...erm ahh errrrr if any of that is usable then they are miracle workers haha :eek::eek:! Oh and being at such a great course and not being able to play a few holes but you can't have everything! Canni wait to get the club now and put it into action. Thanks again for a brilliant day :):thup:

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you had a cracking day mate, very pleased for you but also very jealous.😁

Out of interest, how much difference did you notice/feel between your driver and the new one ?

Also if you don't mind answering you play off a very good h/c, so would you say that this is a driver you would of been happy buying for the gains given ?

Cheers

Midnight...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great write up. These days are always fantastic and the lucky winners are always looked after very well Jezz is a top man as well. Hope you recover from the open wallet surgery of treating HID soon. I assume she had a good time too

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was a good day. I was in second and couldn't have hit my sldr any better and gave them some good numbers to work with. The guys were up front and honest and said i would get any additional distance with the m1 as my numbers with the sldr were spot on. However, they were confident they could work with my off centre strikes.
My average carry with the sldr was 265 but when i caught one out the toe the distance shot down to around 230.
When i tried the m1 i can honestly say i was impressed by the results. I didn't get any additional distance with a strike out the middle but when i was catching them out the toe i was still managing to get it out there. From identical toe strikes the m1 was giving me 9mph more ball speed than my sldr. Thats about 27 yards.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day and meeting the lads.
They said we'll receive our drivers next week so looking forward to that.

Many thanks gm

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It was a good day. I was in second and couldn't have hit my sldr any better and gave them some good numbers to work with. The guys were up front and honest and said i would get any additional distance with the m1 as my numbers with the sldr were spot on. However, they were confident they could work with my off centre strikes.
My average carry with the sldr was 265 but when i caught one out the toe the distance shot down to around 230.
When i tried the m1 i can honestly say i was impressed by the results. I didn't get any additional distance with a strike out the middle but when i was catching them out the toe i was still managing to get it out there. From identical toe strikes the m1 was giving me 9mph more ball speed than my sldr. Thats about 27 yards.

Many thanks gm

Really interesting that you didn't get any additional distance with strikes off the sweet spot but any gains were on off centre strikes. I expect that is the same for just about any driver now though. Nice one and enjoy your new big dog.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really interesting that you didn't get any additional distance with strikes off the sweet spot but any gains were on off centre strikes. I expect that is the same for just about any driver now though. Nice one and enjoy your new big dog.

I wasn't suprised as the aldr is one hell of a driver. I also thought the sldr was a forgiving driver until i saw the numbers. The m1 is much more forgiving

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Many thanks gm

Nice write up mate, glad you had a cracking time. What specs did you get fitted for ?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great numbers Hovis, and certainly an eye opener!

I would say that most people will experience increase in centre strikes only when you find something that better fits you (whether that's a poor original fit, or a more suitable shaft combo in the new one) but most manufacturers have been working on (and promoting) forgiveness this year. Hence their distance claims are usually related to off centre strike improvements.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I wasn't suprised as the aldr is one hell of a driver. I also thought the sldr was a forgiving driver until i saw the numbers. The m1 is much more forgiving

But with all the marketing around carbon fibre crowns or whatever, you'd possibly expect some gain in distance for any strike through increased head speed ? Please don't tell me all drivers are basically maxed out so the have to come up with stuff like space ports and wings and turbulators and carbon fibre crowns that in reality make hardly any difference but mostly serve as a marketing hook? Say it isn't so? ;)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great to hear you both had a really good experience. I hope the new drivers work well for you when they arrive 👍

When they arrive is the question because none of us gave them our home address. we're assuming they're being sent to our home club. So, with the belfry's organisation mine will probably end up on the shelf and sold before i pick it up

Durango

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Greg, I emailed Luke before and gave him my address. He assumed I'd given it to James I think he's called.

lpeterken@wentworthclub.com

As for the comparison with the titleist driver, I have to be honest and say I've had several titleist drivers and loved them all. Especially the 910 I had. I had the r15 last year and really enjoyed hitting that so didn't see a massive difference in feel and distance compared to the M1 but think there's definitely more forgiveness on off centre hits. Getting the spin down with the right launch made it quite a bit longer than the 913 for me.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Greg, I emailed Luke before and gave him my address. He assumed I'd given it to James I think he's called.

lpeterken@wentworthclub.com

As for the comparison with the titleist driver, I have to be honest and say I've had several titleist drivers and loved them all. Especially the 910 I had. I had the r15 last year and really enjoyed hitting that so didn't see a massive difference in feel and distance compared to the M1 but think there's definitely more forgiveness on off centre hits. Getting the spin down with the right launch made it quite a bit longer than the 913 for me.

Who's greg?

raz-jnr

Visit site
I have to agree with the other guys. I was the last in on the day.

I was greeted by Jez and made to feel welcome by everyone.

I hit my ping driver ok, but not brilliant. The usual slight left to right fade.

We played around with various driver variations and ultimately the M2 was the best fit for me, lower ball spin, higher launch angle and interestingly I hit it better with a shorter shaft the equivalent of a 3 wood. I gained between 15 and 20 yards extra and dispersion was better too.

The interview/video was ok I think, tried to use all the buzz words from computer :)

Overall a great day, I would recommend chucking your name in the hat next time. I also don't know where they are going to send my new driver :)

Cheers