RBZ 3 wood shaft

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi all. Just after some advice and opinions. I have an RBZ 3 wood with the stock stiff shaft. When I first got it everything was going straight as an arrow.

Had a couple of lessons and my pro made me change a few things with the driver and irons to try and promote a draw. Seems to have worked but has affected my 3 wood which I now seem to hook a lot.

He did comment on the shaft in the 3 wood not being great. So my question is has anyone changed from the stock shaft and would it be worth me looking into this. I was hitting the adams XTD with the fubuki ax 65 in it and seemed to get along with it. There is one of these shafts up for sale and was wondering if it would be worth a shot?

Please be gentle with me as I'm pretty clueless about shafts etc

Thanks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can't help on the shaft front but the RBZ does have a draw bias so learning to hit a draw won't have helped your 3 wood.
I have the Tour version that has a slightly open face and, although I still can, hooks are reduced. Slightly heavier shaft too - XCon-7 to your 6 (?)...

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ah I wasn't aware it was draw biased. That would probably explain things as my shot shape with my irons has definitely changed. Do you think I will always struggle with my current rbz then?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
An awful lot of fairway and drivers are draw biased (ie slightly closed face), mainly because the vast majority of people have a fade bias in their swing. The TP/tour range in the TM clubs have a slightly open bias, mainly to counter a deadly hook.

Personally my eyesight must be so bad that I can't see the bias of clubs at all, unlike others, and whilst I play with a fade I also used a TP model driver for many years without huge issues.

Is it worth swapping? Not sure, depends on how much cash you want to punt on it. You could buy a new shaft but the head would still be biased, but maybe the new shaft would be better suited and you wouldn't see such bias in your swing. Alternatively you can sell your RBZ and buy the tour version. Personally I would be trying out as many clubs as possible as a simple purchase is easier than swapping shafts as you may not be sure of a fix that way until you have already bought and installed the shaft.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a general rule, standard model TM clubs have cheaper made for shafts, and TP or Tour models have real deal or at least better quality shafts.

Now there is nothing wrong with made for shafts provided they suit you OK. In comparison to the real deal shafts, though, they will tend to be a bit softer, sometimes lighter and launch the ball higher. That is fine for the average player who walks into AG and buys off the shelf, because that player needs help with launch and more ball speed (helped by lighter whippier shafts). These clubs will also tend to be draw biased, sometimes through internal weighting. One of the problems come when players use a made for shaft and then switch to a club where the shaft has the same name but is a real deal shaft, and suddenly they can't play it because it is stiffer, heavier and lower launch.

Matrix Xcon is a good shaft and that made for version is better than some, but the real deal shaft is rather better again.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok thanks people. So you all saying that I should possibly buy a new 3 wood ;). Any excuse to try out some new gear

I do love the rbz so maybe trying the tour version will be best. Aren't they lower lofted though? I really don't want any more length though as its already getting close to my driver.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all. Just after some advice and opinions. I have an RBZ 3 wood with the stock stiff shaft. When I first got it everything was going straight as an arrow.

Had a couple of lessons and my pro made me change a few things with the driver and irons to try and promote a draw. Seems to have worked but has affected my 3 wood which I now seem to hook a lot.

He did comment on the shaft in the 3 wood not being great. So my question is has anyone changed from the stock shaft and would it be worth me looking into this. I was hitting the adams XTD with the fubuki ax 65 in it and seemed to get along with it. There is one of these shafts up for sale and was wondering if it would be worth a shot?

Please be gentle with me as I'm pretty clueless about shafts etc

Thanks
just remember that changing from the stock shaft will change the characteristics of the club. possibly loss of distance. i changed to a nv 65 stiff and although i hit it better. there was some distance lost.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for advice people. Just popped to AG to see if that had a tour that I could try. They didn't so I just had a hit with mine. I tried opening my stance slightly maybe by an inch and it seems to work. Was hitting it straight to slight draw. Then tried standing square again and went back to hooking it.