Rattle In Driver

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having recently returned to golf after a 3 year break,i decided to treat myself to a new driver,now call me old fashioned,but i just couldn't get on with todays technology.I tried several,and although i had some success,i just found the heads to big,and the acoustics at impact too loud !!
Found a Driver on that well known auction site,it was a model that i'd tried at a demo day a few years ago (R7 425 TP)it had the shaft and loft i wanted,and was in good condition,so seemed a bargain.
Made a bid,paid and a few days later the driver arrived,it was as described,and was obviously well looked after,i couldn't wait to try it.A few days later i visited my local driving range,gave the club a waggle and hit a few balls,i was a very happy chappy.Ball number 6 was struck perfectly,it climbed on the perfect trajectory with just a hint of draw,it landed 20 yards short of the fence at the end of the range,then rolled into the fence.Then oh joy of joys,something was rattling in the head.
Now before i go any further,i am in no way suggesting i was sold a dummy,and lay no blame with the seller.It may be pure coincedence that this happened after i bought it.However i needed to find out what was rattling,i telephone a friend who's a clubfitter,"no probs mate drop it in,ill have a look" guess what ? as i took the club from the bag,the rattle had gone !!!!!!!!
Back to the range i go,sure enough,after 4 shots,the rattle returned.I returned home,removed 2 weights from the back of the head,and with much squinting,and torch and driver manipulation,i find the culprit,two pieces of either hot melt,or epoxy,one the size of my thumb nail,and about 2 mm in thickness,and another piece about a third of the size. Voila !!
Now,what do i do ? My friend has suggested Foam,but i'm really not keen on the idea.Another thing that may have something to do with the problem is shortly before hitting the driver,the club was left in hot sunshine in my car,minus the headcover.Could the Rat Glue which is put in most Driver heads at manufacture,in order to catch any loose bodies within the head have softened and allowed the pieces of glue to come loose ? and has anybody else had a similar experience,and did they find a cure ?
Thanks in advance ,if anybody can help.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you not just poke a small screwdriver in the break the bits small enough to fall out the weight holes?

I'm guessing the Glue/Epoxy would be very hard to break,and i may end up damaging the driver doing so.
I think its pretty certain the Glue/Epoxy will have to remain in the head,and either isolated by reheating the Rat Glue in the head,adding more Rat Glue,or foam filling the head,which i'd rather not do if i can avoid it.

A

Alex1975

Ye I think filling it with foam would change it alot. I would be surprised though if you could get it re glued, well what I mean is, it would be a hell of a job if you managed to do it. Would you not have an easier time trying to break up the epoxy?

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ye I think filling it with foam would change it alot. I would be surprised though if you could get it re glued, well what I mean is, it would be a hell of a job if you managed to do it. Would you not have an easier time trying to break up the epoxy?

Putting more Rat Glue in the head is a very simple job to be honest.It simplay a matter of unscrewing one of the head weights and applying the glue through a tube.Rat Glue is very good,i'm just concerned the amount needed to hold these pieces of broken glue/epoxy,may alter the swing weight significantly.

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
Long and fiddly process - get a drill bit (in hand, not drill!) in a MWT hole and try to trap the epoxy between drill bit and the walls of the hole, then turn the drill bit to break off bits of the epoxy.

A

Alex1975

Long and fiddly process - get a drill bit (in hand, not drill!) in a MWT hole and try to trap the epoxy between drill bit and the walls of the hole, then turn the drill bit to break off bits of the epoxy.

I did this with a coconut once and got all the white out of it, it took a very long time but its doable.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

I did this with a coconut once and got all the white out of it, it took a very long time but its doable.

that's not what you do with a coconut. open all three eyes, drain water. pour in Bacardi, leave to stand. insert straw - enjoy

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

that's not what you do with a coconut. open all three eyes, drain water. pour in Bacardi, leave to stand. insert straw - enjoy

LOL best answer :D :D

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might be worth a call/email to TM to see if they have come across it before, and/or have a solution?

A few people have suggested the same thing,so might be worth contacting them.Obviously its unlikely they won't exchange or replace a 5 year old driver,but maybe as you suggested they have seen a similar problem and can maybe suggest a cure.

A

Alex1975

Might be worth a call/email to TM to see if they have come across it before, and/or have a solution?

A few people have suggested the same thing,so might be worth contacting them.Obviously its unlikely they won't exchange or replace a 5 year old driver,but maybe as you suggested they have seen a similar problem and can maybe suggest a cure.

Might be worth a cheeky ask for a new club though :eek:

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Might be worth a cheeky ask for a new club though :eek:

LOL,believe you and me,had the club not been fitted with an aftermarket shaft,i most certainly would have chanced my arm.Maybe i could sound a little depressed and desperate when i phone them,you never know ? ;)