Rare occurrence

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can see that a stationary ball can be both an outside influence and an obstruction, but am having serious difficulty in accepting that a played ball in motion, can be both an outside influence and a movable obstruction. In that I'm permitted to move a movable obstruction but presumably not permitted to take hold of and move a ball in motion . Or am I?

Some pointers for you.

Outside Influence is an all-embracing term for virtually everything and everybody on a golf course. It excepts, however, the player or their caddie or the player’s partner or opponent or any of their caddies. Movable obstructions are thus outside influences,
A movable obstruction such as a golf trolley might be be stationary one moment and in motion the next. It doesn't stop being a movable obstruction when it's on the move nor being an outside influence.
The Definition of an Outside Influence includes specific reference to a moving ball: Any natural or artificial object or anything else (including another ball in motion), except for natural forces.....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are many items that can be classified in multiple ways.
eg rakes, ball markers, clubs and balls may be classified under outside influence, movable obstruction and/or equipment depending on the situation.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always 'got it' that some objects meet more than one definition. But it was the ball-in-motion/movable obstruction thing that was taxing me. However post #19 is the one thatclears it up for me. Thanks all.