Rangefinders

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a bushnell medalist it lasted 10yrs. I had re wired it once but it was going strong. However fortunes changed and I had some pro shop balance, so treated my self to the latest non slope bushnell. I tried the tasco, which worked fine but felt light ... and I figured that this was a long term purchase and got the one I liked despite it being more expensive and functionally no better. Sometimes you have to just buy what you like and it’s an emotional decision

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
True but people could still cheat by using that function in a comp.

At my handicap I tend use my watch more than I use the range finder as I am generally looking to find the middle of the green, however where I do use it is, for example on, I think the 14th at Bearwood Lakes where I wanted to know what the carry across the water was. I use the slope at some of the ranges near by that are up hill so I know the distance to flags

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Have a look at the boblov range finder.
Mine was about £80 on eBay and has slope and the jolt function
I have a boblov and the distances work well.
My issue is the sharpness of the optics, and when I turn the focus ring it also affected the displayed number so I could either see the pin sharp or the distance. Playing with glasses now the issue is less.

evemccc

Visit site
They'll give you a distance to anything you can point it at. Personally I find the GPS phone apps give a better picture though with regards to hazards and so on.

I had a rangefinder for nearly a year, they were fairly useful for times when I couldn't see if the pin was front or back. But other than that I found I was relying on it too much and I should have just used GPS to the middle of the green and been better off. Too many times I lasered the pin, pin was front edge, I go down a club then don't quite get hold of it and end up short of the green, when I would have been better off just playing for middle and having two putts back. I think they're nice to have but you probably wouldn't see a direct benefit to your scores unless you're a very consistent ball-striker.
Good post

I use Hole 19, free version. It’s been very useful for me to roughly figure out my average distances for each club ‘IF’ I connect well and hit the ball cleanly.

Usually club for the middle of the green unless it’s v firm ground, then club to the front and allow for release.

I’m tempted for the Decathlon rangefinder but Hole 19 is accurate (more accurate than my golf-game?) so don’t see that I would benefit from a rangefinder

Change my mind..!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good post

I use Hole 19, free version. It’s been very useful for me to roughly figure out my average distances for each club ‘IF’ I connect well and hit the ball cleanly.

Usually club for the middle of the green unless it’s v firm ground, then club to the front and allow for release.

I’m tempted for the Decathlon rangefinder but Hole 19 is accurate (more accurate than my golf-game?) so don’t see that I would benefit from a rangefinder

Change my mind..!
No point changing your mind, the rangefinder is a luxury item and not a necessity. However data is as useful as its interpretation and if you don’t interpret it correctly you will end up being too short or too long etc... That part is about being honest with your self, only you know which irons are your reliable ones and which are statistically less likely to deliver the yardage.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Good post

Change my mind..!

No need to change your mind

However, when I'm at an away course I often use a combination of my Bushnell and Garmin. The garmin gives me a picture of the hole layout and yardages from where I am to where I may want to hit and gives me accurate distances to lay ups etc.

So, lets say I'm at Sunningdale, as we were last year, there are some raised greens so its hard to see if the pin is front middle or back on some quite large greens. So, I can measure with the Bushnell to the pin and see say 160 yards and know from the Garmin that the front is 145 and the back is say 170. This means that ignoring wind conditions etc I can choose more accurately whether to hit an 8 iron to the front, a 7 to the pin or a 6 to the back.

At least, the choice of club is more correct for me - the hitting of it, now that is a different matter ?