Rangefinders? Worth it?

TobyRich1928

Head Pro
Visit site
Was thinking of getting a bushnell medalist with some money I've got left over, worth it or not? Can see the benefits of having one but is it worth the money ? (£155)

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you would consider buying second hand, for that money I would sell you my Bushnell Tour V2.

I've not yet got it up in the for sale section, but if your interested, let me know and I'll get it up there with some pictures.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a laser rangerfinder ( canon ) that rrped at 199. If i could buy again, I would definitely get a skycaddie instead of a laser. A GPS is just a bit easier to use. That's my opinion though.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've got a Bushnell Tour V2. It's a great bit of kit but if you're bothered about distances to bunkers or hazards then it might be better to consider a GPS, especially if you play a lot of different courses. The Tour V2 has two modes, pinseeker and scan. Pinseeker gives you the distance to the closest object and is accurate, scan mode allows you to scan to bunkers or hazards but is hard to get right. Also, you need a line to the pin to measure it so if your course is hilly you might be better with GPS.

Having the exact distance to the pin is useful if you know exactly how far you hit your irons and get hit that distance consistently. If you don't or can't, a GPS is good enough. Most GPS will also give other features like shot measurement as well if your bothered by that.

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
I bought a skycaddie at the beginning of last year, after debating with myself wether or not to get one. I am now hooked big style and the confidence it gives you knowing exactly what your yardages are cannot be praised enough. You can get a 2.5 fairly cheap and its all you will ever need for information, it is the dogs!
So, is it worth it?
Oh yeah!

surefire

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Even though I would sell my V2, I do agree it is important to decide if you would prefer a GPS or a range finder.

The reason I had a V2 and have now upgraded to the pro 1600 is because I could measure to any point that I could point at, and I could use it to also make my own charts when playing at places where during the actual round no devices are allowed to be used.

Obviously the GPS has the advantage of normally being a bit quicker to use, but you can only get distances to objects that are measured on the course map.

So really it comes down to which of these scenarios you are happy with.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I played a lot of different courses, I'd have got a GPS, as I think the advantage of knowing the distances to trouble off the tee, as well as to greens, would be whats required.

I dont, so I got a Bushnell V2. I play mostly on my own course, so I know what it is off the tee, I just want to know what's left to the green, exactly.

I might not be 'that' consistent with distances with my irons, but i'm pretty consistent, so knowing the flag is exactly x is a benefit to me, its then down to me to hit it.

I used to be 'anti' GPS/Laser's, so I'm a bit of a 'poacher turned gamekeeper', - I just figured if the Pro's get assistance, hell, why shouldnt we ??

Has it made a difference to me ? Well, not in Handicap terms exactly, as I finished within .2 of the previous year, but I did have perhaps my most 'consistent' year's golf, so I'm gonna say yes.

Onwards & upwards this year.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I prefer GPS but that is more down to the fact that I can never get a reading to the flag from the trees on the next fairway

is pretty much the right answer.

GPS if you cant see the flag or hit wrong fairwars

Lazer if you can see the pin.

i went gps and its amazing how much help it if from other fairways or in valleys where your blind to the pin.

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it possible on any device to save locations once you get to your ball, to ascertain yur shot distances (ie do they save so you could review after the round)

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is it possible on any device to save locations once you get to your ball, to ascertain yur shot distances (ie do they save so you could review after the round)

I've got a sky caddie 2.5 and it allows you to Mark drive / shot distances ( only the good ones tho ;) )