Rangefinder.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all,
Looking at picking up a rangefinder in the next couple of months, what would people recommend please, pros and cons.

Cheers

Midnight...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Laser?
I picked up a 2nd hand Bushnell V2 about 5 years ago for about £100.
Still going strong.
Downsides to buying 2nd hand are, obviously, little comeback if it goes wrong.
Some cheapish brands about that can be had for similar money new....no experience of them though.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Nikon. They make great lenses for cameras etc, bought a Nikon range finder and never had any issues.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I bought a Boblov rangefinder from ebay and it does the job required. now I just need to hit the ball the right bloody distance (and in the right direction)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nikon. They make great lenses for cameras etc, bought a Nikon range finder and never had any issues.
When we played PowerP!ay at the Grove with GM years ago, Nikon came down and tried to flog us their new laser.
It worked fine but, certainly for me, felt awkward in the hands compared to my Bushnell.
Some will feel it ok, some might not.
It's worth trying to hold one if you can before buying as if it sits comfortably in the hand it will be easier to use

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve got an Ben Sayers XF laser and it does the job perfectly well and doesn’t cost the earth. Prior to that I had a Nikon and it was great but I don’t think great enough to justify the extra cost over the Ben Sayers.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Evening all,
Looking at picking up a rangefinder in the next couple of months, what would people recommend please, pros and cons.

Cheers

Midnight...

Don't be worried Guy they are not very heavy, a manual lifting certificate would be a good idea but the key is to squat and lift and not use straight legs bending over …………………… sorry! did you mean acquire one ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I’ve got an Ben Sayers XF laser and it does the job perfectly well and doesn’t cost the earth. Prior to that I had a Nikon and it was great but I don’t think great enough to justify the extra cost over the Ben Sayers.

At the end of the day a laser is aaswr and they all work on the safe principles. Shoots, reflects and bounces back giving w a distance.

What you pay for as you get more expensive is the quality of the optics.

All will do a job for playing golf.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't be worried Guy they are not very heavy, a manual lifting certificate would be a good idea but the key is to squat and lift and not use straight legs bending over …………………… sorry! did you mean acquire one ?

Thank you for thinking about my health and safety mate😂😂👍🏾👍🏾

D

Deleted Member 1156

I have a Nikon which is great but struggles a bit if there is any rain or drizzle. Also got a Ben Sayers one for my holiday bag, not great it really doesn't home in on the flag very well at all. I wouldn't recommend it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have a Nikon which is great but struggles a bit if there is any rain or drizzle. Also got a Ben Sayers one for my holiday bag, not great it really doesn't home in on the flag very well at all. I wouldn't recommend it.

Never had an issue with the Nikon in the rain and here on the windy, rainy west coast of Scotland I have more than my fair share of guff weather.

Last edited:

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting. Having had both, I actually find the Ben sayers better for finding the flag than my old coolshot 20, especially from 180+.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not sure which Nikon I have but it's a few years old now, I think it may be the first one they did. Sounds like it may have been improved with later models.