Range Vs course

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Been hitting the range for the last couple of weeks after not playing for a couple of months because of a back injury, and been hitting both driver and 3 wood really well off the tee. My driver has always had a huge slice but 3 wood is normally very reliable. Went back on the course yesterday, and hit 1 fairway. Literally every tee shot was either a shank or a slice even with my 3 wood. Went back to the range today and only took driver and 3 wood. 2 slices out of 100 balls. Seems like on the range I hit decent shots and then it disappears as soon as I'm on the course.

Anyone else have this problem? And does anyone have any suggestions how to fix it?

User20204

Visit site
Seems you swing freely on the range and not on the course then.

I learnt during the week watching something about Rory that he's now got it in his head, he knows the shot to hit and commits 100% as per his drive down 18 last Sunday, try and take that to the course, easier said than down but I'm going to try it myself come the weekend.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Could be a host of things but chances are you simply get into a smooth tempo on the range hitting shot after shot and only get one go on the course which leads to tension. Hit a couple of bad ones and that tension gets worse and so the cycle continues. I try and vary my range practice so I am hitting different clubs at different targets and not scraping a ball onto the mat and hitting. I also ensure I hit a few balls to warm up before I go out so I am feeling loose and ready to swing well on the 1st

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
How does your pre-shot process differ on the range compared to the course? When you're on the range - are you picking specific targets?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
easy to hit a big wide open range compared to a fairway on a golf course. either practice a bit of driving on the course or may be go to the side of the range where its tight to the side you usually miss on.

personally i work on specifics of my swing on the rare occasion i go to a range, which is usually with irons only

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
When I'm at the range, I pick a target and pick 2 others which are roughly the right width for a fairway and treat anything that's either side of those as missed.

Not aware of any difference in pre shot process but I suppose that's something I could check next time

mister v

Visit site
I will play the course but on the range, so i'll pick a target on the range that replicates the first hole and then drive, and then play the yards that im normally left with to the pin, or if ive hooked, sliced or topped i'll play a punch shot etc ....... it helps very practice and gives you penalties if you miss your target
Mind you on the range im a world beater, on the course im ***.........

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find practising on the range usually messes up my longer clubs. For that reason I tend to only practise up to 7 irons at a range, and leave the driver and such to use only on the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the exact opposite issue (which is preferable way round to be fair). I hate the range and almost never go now, because when I did there was about a 50% chance I'd hit 30 or 40 shanks. Out on the course it's maybe 1 or 2 a round, 3 or 4 on a bad day.

Your problem might be a similar thing to people who have great practise swings, and then a different swing when they hit the ball. i.e. they can swing nice and freely when the pressure is off. It might be helpful to get a friend to video your swing on the driving range, then do the same when you're teeing off at the course, and see if there are any subtle differences in the swings that you didn't know you were doing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I'm at the range, I pick a target and pick 2 others which are roughly the right width for a fairway and treat anything that's either side of those as missed.

Not aware of any difference in pre shot process but I suppose that's something I could check next time
I do this as well and keep a track out of 10 balls hit how many hit target and whether I missed left or right. I go through my pre-shot routine and treat each shot as a real tee shot on the course and not just hit it, tee another, hit and repeat

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find practising on the range usually messes up my longer clubs. For that reason I tend to only practise up to 7 irons at a range, and leave the driver and such to use only on the course.
I'm the same. Can't hit driver at the range at all - no longer try. 4h is the longest I would use, and I mainly work with 7 or 8 irons and p wedge.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could be as simple as alighment. At the range the mat and barriers all keep you aligned squarely. Out in the open and you have to do it yourself. You can do this anywhere with a field of vision, but look at something about 200 yards away and pretend you're going to take a shot at it, put something on the ground along the line your feet are pointing. If you're aligned open there are several tricks to aligning properly. Your shoulders can get open as well without you noticing. Get a pro to go on the course with you rather than on the range, a playing lesson is great in so many ways.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Seems you swing freely on the range and not on the course then.

Exactly what my problem is. What p...s me off is that I know exactly what I am doing wrong on the course, but it's as if my brain will not let me release thru! Aargh!
When I do overcome it, it seems because I do two things. Concentrate very hard on swinging slow, and swinging with as full a shoulder turn as possible.
Instead of trying to hit the ball.
Now, that is simple enough, isn't it? So why the hell doesn't it happen all the time..?
What a game,!