Racism in sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Yes it does work both ways. I was told that unless I converted to Islam I could not marry a Muslim woman[1]. I knew her for a few years, but will never see her again and I know she is still single.

Sport should be different as it tends to be a level playing field.

Cast your mind back to when Muirfield did not not allow women members. Even now I understand it only has a dozen.[2]
How many non whites have gained entry?
Augusta did not allow non white members until relatively recent times.
Is golf institutionally racist? [3]
What is the percentage of whites to non whites at your club?[4]
So much here to discuss :cool:
[1] Why didn't you? Makes no odds surely, they can't drag you to a mosque every weekend can they? I had a mate married a Canadian girl, Catholic upbringing in Belfast, converted to Jewish to allow him to marry her.
[2] It was PC nonsense, that figure shows there was no clamour from women to get in, just like there's no clamour for men to join women only clubs
[3] I don't think so any more than basketball, it's just a sport that tends to have been played by white people more than other sports that black people (Basketball) or Asain people (cricket) tend to be more dominant. How many black or Asian NHL players?
[4] We have one black member out of 300ish members, but that is fairly representative of Aberdeenshire, indeed as far as I can recall, they are the only black family in the area (we have a catchment area only for membership) so we have 100% black membership strike rate (y). The local cricket club is nearly all Asian players now.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
[1] Why didn't you? Makes no odds surely, they can't drag you to a mosque every weekend can they? I had a mate married a Canadian girl, Catholic upbringing in Belfast, converted to Jewish to allow him to marry her.
Don't really follow your logic.
Muslims need to pray 5 times a day and attend mosque of Fridays.
Why do you have to become an apostate just to marry someone?
You can't even be Catholic and Protestant let alone Catholic and Jewish.

As an irregular Catholic I discussed the matter of marriage to a Muslim with the local priest.
I was informed that I was allowed to marry her but any children would need to brought up as Catholics.
After that piece of nonsense I stopped going to church.
That alone proves how divisive faith is.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

As an irregular Catholic I discussed the matter of marriage to a Muslim with the local priest.
I was informed that I was allowed to marry her but any children would need to brought up as Catholics.
You've just followed my logic, go and do whatever needs doing to be "muslim", you don't then have to go and pray 5 times a day. That's nonsense, just don't do it. And my mate wasn't catholic & jewish, he "converted". I doubt he's been to church since. It's all a load of pish

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You've just followed my logic, go and do whatever needs doing to be "muslim", you don't then have to go and pray 5 times a day. That's nonsense, just don't do it. And my mate wasn't catholic & jewish, he "converted". I doubt he's been to church since. It's all a load of pish
To some people swearing an oath is not something they would do lightly or falsely.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I got married in a Catholic church. I'm not Catholic at all, but my wife's family is. They said the same, that it was fine as long as our future children will be brought up as Catholics. We just said yeah fine. Seemed like an easy one.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got married in a Catholic church. I'm not Catholic at all, but my wife's family is. They said the same, that it was fine as long as our future children will be brought up as Catholics. We just said yeah fine. Seemed like an easy one.
But your children will be yours, not there’s. My wifes parents are/were evangelicals and there is no way on earth I am subjecting my girls to their doctrine and mantra. Now my youngest is expecting, she has already told her grandma that she doesn’t want her preaching to her or her new forthcoming daughter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But your children will be yours, not there’s. My wifes parents are/were evangelicals and there is no way on earth I am subjecting my girls to their doctrine and mantra. Now my youngest is expecting, she has already told her grandma that she doesn’t want her preaching to her or her new forthcoming daughter.
Don't worry, we have no intention of raising super-religious children. My point was it was a silly requirement but an easy one to agree to. If our children grow up not religious, or following Buddhism or something, then what are the Catholic church going to do about it?? Not much I shouldn't think.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The last three posts for me endorse where part of the problem lays in a multicultural respectful society. Today’s generation understands the needs to change, older generations still Expect older cultures to carry on as they were.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't worry, we have no intention of raising super-religious children. My point was it was a silly requirement but an easy one to agree to. If our children grow up not religious, or following Buddhism or something, then what are the Catholic church going to do about it?? Not much I shouldn't think.
But her parents will expect them to be Catholic and attend church.......
Obviously if up to you, but I dont think any parents should stipulate how your prospective children should be brought up.
:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But her parents will expect them to be Catholic and attend church.......
Obviously if up to you, but I dont think any parents should stipulate how your prospective children should be brought up.
:)
I think you've misunderstood my original post actually. The church said that our children should be Catholic if they are to marry us in their church. It wasn't my wife's family that said that.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you've misunderstood my original post actually. The church said that our children should be Catholic if they are to marry us in their church. It wasn't my wife's family that said that.
Sounds like I did...... watch the film "Spotlight"......then tell me youre doing as the Catholic church asks....;)
Personally, I would have told them to get stuffed at the outset:)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Or what? The marriage would be retrospectively cancelled?

I was brought up Catholic (in NI, so it means more than just going to Mass), but gave it all up years ago.

I would just got ahead with the marriage in wherever I wanted and decide what to do afterwards later.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
IMO, it's not 'faith' that is divisive; it's the practitioners of faith(s) that are!
Faith is a metaphor for absence of evidence. But they don't want you to know that.

Look up the source of 'zealot' for example. Or the number of wars/persecutions through the centuries (including civil wars) waged primarily on religious grounds!
Actually, wars are mainly waged on slight genetic variations between races. But they don't want you to know that, either.
In the case of Catholic v Protestant it's quite unsettling how many people have been killed in Europe over a dispute over whether bread and wine is transformed into body and blood or not.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
... go and do whatever needs doing to be "muslim", you don't then have to go and pray 5 times a day. That's nonsense, just don't do it....
You are simply demonstrating that you have no idea what 'being a muslim' involves! Salah (Prayer) is the 2nd of 5 'Pillars of Islam'!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You are simply demonstrating that you have no idea what 'being a muslim' involves! Salah (Prayer) is the 2nd of 5 'Pillars of Islam'!
Communion etc for christianity, how many folks are wedding/funeral church-goers?

just because you're a "religion x-er", doesn't mean you have to follow all the hocus pocus.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Communion etc for christianity, how many folks are wedding/funeral church-goers?

just because you're a "religion x-er", doesn't mean you have to follow all the hocus pocus.
My post was purely about your lack of knowledge of Islam! Which you still don't seem to have grasped!
Prayer (Salah) is an absolutely essential/fundamental part of Islam!
Your comment might apply to many facets of (supposed) Protestant - or even 'non-fundamentalist' areas of other - faiths, but NOT to Islam in any way shape or form!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
My post was purely about your lack of knowledge of Islam! Which you still don't seem to have grasped!
Prayer (Salah) is an absolutely essential/fundamental part of Islam!
Your comment might apply to many facets of (supposed) Protestant - or even 'non-fundamentalist' areas of other - faiths, but NOT to Islam in any way shape or form!
Indeed, I pay no attention to any of it, it's all hocus pocus.

What I meant tho, as you should have grasped, was that the guy could have just gone along with his "conversion" and kept his fiancee, then not bother going to church, he's done his "conversion" . It's all "essential", folks don't though do they?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed, I pay no attention to any of it, it's all hocus pocus.

What I meant tho, as you should have grasped, was that the guy could have just gone along with his "conversion" and kept his fiancee, then not bother going to church, he's done his "conversion" . It's all "essential", folks don't though do they?
If you've not paid any attention then how do you know it's hocus pocus?

Status
Not open for further replies.