Brian Close RIP

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Now there was a great sportsman. And I well remember his return to the England team, to face the West Indies pace attack, in 1976 at age 45. Holding gave him a right battering but Close didn't shirk, taking body blows yet still hooking Holding for a 6. Yorkshire's best Captain, he also captained England on 7 occasions, winning 6 and drawing 1.

And what a Yorkshire team back then. Boycott, Trueman & Illingworth.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Now there was a great sportsman. And I well remember his return to the England team, to face the West Indies pace attack, in 1976 at age 45. Holding gave him a right battering but Close didn't shirk, taking body blows yet still hooking Holding for a 6. Yorkshire's best Captain, he also captained England on 7 occasions, winning 6 and drawing 1.

And what a Yorkshire team back then. Boycott, Trueman & Illingworth.
I was at the Test match at Old Trafford, when he and John Edrich took a right pounding. Holding was so quick you couldn't follow the ball, you just heard the ball smack into the keepers gloves or into Close's body.:eek:

D

Deleted member 15344

When I was at Somerset Academy he used to regularly come in - he was wonderful to listen to and gave great advice. Was superb for Bangers

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
image_20130710134319.jpg

Bravest man to play Test cricket. Facing the most dangerous bowling attack of all-time, and he stood up to them like a man. Coming back into the Test side after a 9 year absence aged 45 to face Holding, Roberts and Daniel at their most dangerous and quickest is a hell of an effort. Played the short stuff superbly though, and watching that footage should be a good lesson for young players. He's facing some of the quickest bowling of all-time, and never takes his eyes off the ball. The ball whizzes past his nose, but he never takes his eyes off it. Great stuff, and he will always be remembered.

C

c1973

I'd never heard of the guy until yesterday when I watched some footage of him facing up to the bowling mentioned.

Bloody hell! There's a guy that didn't want to lose. Incredible to watch.