Racism in sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
So a larger lady at the tennis club is regularly called 'fatso'/'kung fu panda'. Regularly buys team shirts with those names on the back for her own amusement and has never complained, is infact encouraging of the names.

Its discussed with every new member and in my view is a ticking time bomb.

Sure she loves the attention, but I can't help but wonder how many others players are offended at away matches, or don't join the club when they hear the general chatter in matches.

I have to fall on the 'it's never banter' side of this one....

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
So a larger lady at the tennis club is regularly called 'fatso'/'kung fu panda'. Regularly buys team shirts with those names on the back for her own amusement and has never complained, is infact encouraging of the names.

Sure she loves the attention, but I can't help but wonder how many others players are offended at away matches, or don't join the club when they hear the general chatter in matches.

I suffered bullying and racism at school. With hand on heart I can honestly say that by bringing up the insults herself she may well be, a) seeking to be part of the club, and b) looking to take the wind out of their sails.

Been there, done that.

But what about the long term damage? A couple of weeks ago 3 guys ‘bantered’ on me using terminology from 50 years ago. It still hurt very deeply, and brought back some very painful memories. Bullying, even just banter that targets an individual’s differences, fat/skinny/tall/small/black/white etc should not happen FULL STOP.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I fear that the lady has actually been very hurt by comments about her weight and is very self-conscious about it, and so she puts on a jolly front over it. But I suspect that it is an act in an attempt to hide her upset - an act that helps her cope by deflection - and one that makes her feel attractive to others, when she feels that many might not find her attractive otherwise due to her weight. But it is nonetheless a public act that most probably does not reflect her private thoughts. Sadly.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There is no place for racism either in or out of sport. However it is not consigned to just white people being rascist. My son was told by the parents he would not be accepted as a partner and possible future husband to an Indian woman who was born in the UK. Why? Because he was white. They have since split up.
The problems of racism unfortunately are ingrained in some people and some cultures.
My daughter is a copper, she is hated by criminal Asians, they do not respect white women. Suffice to say when she arrests some Asians it is seen as embarrassing and demeaning to them to be arrested in front of there friends.
Any effort to address the issue of rascism is better than no effort. ?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes it does work both ways. I was told that unless I converted to Islam I could not marry a Muslim woman. I knew her for a few years, but will never see her again and I know she is still single.

Sport should be different as it tends to be a level playing field.

Cast your mind back to when Muirfield did not not allow women members. Even now I understand it only has a dozen.
How many non whites have gained entry?
Augusta did not allow non white members until relatively recent times.
Is golf institutionally racist?
What is the percentage of whites to non whites at your club?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes it does work both ways. I was told that unless I converted to Islam I could not marry a Muslim woman. I knew her for a few years, but will never see her again and I know she is still single.

Sport should be different as it tends to be a level playing field.

Cast your mind back to when Muirfield did not not allow women members. Even now I understand it only has a dozen.
How many non whites have gained entry?
Augusta did not allow non white members until relatively recent times.
Is golf institutionally racist?
What is the percentage of whites to non whites at your club?
We've Club owners who are Muslim so a very great proportion compared to most Clubs...... it feels very healthy compared to my NE 'roots' back in the 60's

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Proves my point everyone is racist…but having said that some stuff is set up like that as well and we haven’t addressed that.
It's a problem worldwide. You mentioned Japanese, I've worked a fair bit in Japan and found them to be extremely racist and sexist. Hatred seems to exist in this country between Black and Asian people, homophobia is rampant among many races, it's not a white only issue by any means.

Someone mentioned the Exeter Chiefs previously and how their American Native chants and dress are a sign of institutional racism. I just don't get that, surely they are using it as a sign of something representing strength and ability in their club, they surely aren't suggesting its to look inferior in some way.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a problem worldwide. You mentioned Japanese, I've worked a fair bit in Japan and found them to be extremely racist and sexist. Hatred seems to exist in this country between Black and Asian people, homophobia is rampant among many races, it's not a white only issue by any means.

Someone mentioned the Exeter Chiefs previously and how their American Native chants and dress are a sign of institutional racism. I just don't get that, surely they are using it as a sign of something representing strength and ability in their club, they surely aren't suggesting its to look inferior in some way.
Yeah I don’t get the Exeter Chiefs thing either , in Gothenburg the ice hockey team is the Frolunda Indians … I just don’t see the racism

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They changed the Washington Redskins to Washington Football team

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...otball-team-2020-nfl-latest-a9635001.html?amp

And what a load of old rollocks that is.

Made up Racism that even native Americans (who suffered a f’ing GENOCIDE) are at odds to back or denounce.

You know as I sit and type This there are literally children across the globe being enslaved, human trafficked, exploited, raped and treated as worse as any colonial slave ever had to endure.

There is also real nasty racism in the world. The type that does not just hurt another persons sensibilities.

I mean the type that Brutally and systematically murders other creed’s, colours and kinds. This is sometimes sectarian or sometimes just good old fashioned ethnic cleansing.

Genocide of peoples and cultures who's whole history is being wiped from the face of humanity. This is happening in many many countries. This is standard behaviour in many (not all) ‘non western’ counties.

The world is full to the brim with this stuff.

It needs addressing and the Perpetrators need to be dealt with extreme prejudice.

But here’s the thing.

No one cares about that.

No. Instead the UK falls over itself to give sympathy to a successful individual who at a few points in his life was a recipient of a few bad words or acts by people who made him sup a beer or had the absolute nerve to invite him into ‘their’ culture.

Better still it turns out that poor victim is just as bad as the people he blames for being hurtful to him.

I absolutely despair at the complete mess we are in and attention we bestow on people who in the grand scheme of suffering, literally are as protected and as Privileged as anybody.

Edit. That is not aimed at you Phil.

More the article you posted.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

Racism needs to be addressed socially in society, until then racism will exist in sport and everywhere else. Racism doesn't exist only because of sport.

It's a generation issue imo.

We've seen well educated, powerful people blatantly using racist langauge and getting away with it. Infact they end up running the bloody country?

Status
Not open for further replies.